Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help My Brains Switched Off Simple calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmn_tech

Hi I'm Having a Bad day.

OK, Probably simple but my memory is not what it was. I'm Trying to calculate the value of the series resistor for some IR LED's.

Now I know the formula
Vs-Vf/If = R

My problem is I can't remember the value of If eg is it in Amps or mA

Vs = 12v
Vf = 1.4v
If = 100mA

I know this is stupid but I just can't get it today (senility setting in)

All help appreciated

100mA is 0.1A. Then calculate the resistor's value:

1) 12V - 1.4V= 10.6V.
2) R= 10.6V/0.1A= 106 ohms.

Thank you so much It's in mA then.

Thanks again Rick.

Should you ever forget again you can figure it out.

If you do the math using mA instead of amps you end up with a .1 ohm resistor which is so small the answer is obviously wrong.

Using amps you end up with 106 ohms which is in the range of what you would expect.

Perhaps the best way to remember is that milliAmp isn't the basic unit - Amp is. It's the same way when calculating low pass frequency - don't use microFs, use Fs. and so on... For most electronics equations, you use the basic unit.

Another thing is you'll soon learn to estimate what values you'd expect from a calculation, e.g. if the resistor value worked out to be 1m:eek:hm: or 100k then you'd be reasonably sure it's wrong.

Thankyou All

Thankyou all for your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back