Help please... 80 vdc motor limit/reversing switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lenord123

Hello,

I have a minarik 80 vdc controller and a 1/3 hp motor. I need to add 2 reversing switches/limit switches for an automated project. The motor turns a gearbox and then a lead screw. It needs to reverse at the end of travel at each end. I can get one reversing switch to work, DPDT switch. Not a big problem getting that to work . I can't seem to get two to work. The second just shuts off the power to the motor. The motor will spend it's life moving very slowly, adjusted at a pot, pulling about 1 or 2 volts all the time ( that's what the multimeter indicates anyway ). I've seen threads about using relays, diodes and H-bridges.
Can someone PLEASE post a simple diagram, that I can understand, to get the second reversing switch to work ?

Thanks !

Ronv,

Thanks for the link. It looks promising !
I googled up the pieces of the diagram and found a few things. There are two diodes in there, two SPST on/off switches and a DPDT switch. Can you shed some light on the appropriate diode to use ? The DPDT switch is a different configuration than what I have here too. I have 3 pairs of poles on my switches, like this:
o o
o o
o o

I can't seem to figure out how to wire it up ?

Any help is appreciated !

Let me make sure I know what you want it to do.
You want it to run all the time, going from one limit to the next and then turning around?
If so you need a relay instead of a switch. If this is what you want I can maybe make a better picture.

Well, run about 12 hours a day M-F yes. It also will run very slowly, only hitting the limit switches about 6 times a day.

A better pic,... please !

Take a look at this. 2 relays.

Try a resistor of about 100 ohms and a capacitor of .1 Ufd. They are to keep the contacts from arcing quite so bad.

I found the capacitor and resistor, I can get that. Can you let me know what kind/type/model of relay will do the job ??

Hmmm. Now that's a problem. Do you have any other voltage available besides the 80 volts? You might need to get a small 12 volt supply. Then you can use a SPDT relay (Single pole double throw) with a 12 volt coil. I think Radio Shack has some rated at 10 Amps.

The voltage from the controller to the motors will only be around 1 or 2 volts nearly all the time. At least that what it was at the switch when I measured it with a multimeter.
The controller has a pot on it that will be set at it's slowest speed and ran that way all the time. The only time it won't be is when it is set up...

The controller does not have a 12 volt out though.

Last edited:
What is the distance of travel?

I think you should be able do it with a single DPDT switch, if you can make a mechanical linkage to toggle the switch between it's two positions at the ends of travel.

When the switch is in the A position, the leadscrew travels to the right.

When it hits the right hand end, the switch flips to the B position, reversing the motor, and the leadscrew moves to the left.

When it hits the left hand end, the switch gets flipped back to the A position.

Another way of doing the mechanical part would be to have the switch move, with bars that hit the switch handle at each end.

Following with Interest.

I'm trying to do the same thing. Traverse will be more regular and shorter durations. It will be for a pickup coil winder to traverse the wire across the coils duing winding.

Yes, If your a mechanical kind of guy Chris' idea would be easy - just the DPDT switch.
If not you will need to buy a little 12 volt wall supply for the relays.
Something must be wrong with the measurements. If it is an 80 volt motor it should run with more than 2 volts across it.

I will try the mechanical way, seems easier to do that.
The circuit has a pot on it. When it barely moves the motor, it has 2 volts dc going to the switch......

It propably is a 90VDC 1/3HP motor, quite common. With manual control you generally use a "hesitation" switch when you need to reverse the motor. This allows the motor to come to a full stop before the reversing voltage is aplied. The same technique should be used with relays to save the coils of the motor and the contacts of the relay (contactor?). E

Here is a picture of the switch method. Canadaelk is right the switch should be a DPDT center off. The correct switch will have 3 positions up down and center. When it is in the center nothing is connected.
You probably won't be able to find one with the ratings you should have so life may not be forever. Get a 15 or 20 amp one and the highest voltage they have.

All,

A good friend figured it out initially. I thought it was incorrect, but I managed to mess up a solder ...so he was right as always.
I only used 2 DPDT switches, no center off. They are heavy duty switches, 250vac IIRC. 10 amps too.
The motor is 90 volts dc. The controller is 80vdc or 160vdc, switched. It is also 110 or 220 vac input. There is a jumper to let the motor slow down when the switch is reversed. I will use that. Like I wrote though, the motor will turn only as slow as it can aside from initial set up. Reversing should not be a problem.

View attachment 66243

If someone see's a glaring problem, please let me know.

Thanks !!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…