Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lskywalker

Im a high school electronics student. My teacher is a hunter ( no he dosent play halo, he hunts dear ). A lot of time he would shoot the deer and they would run away. we came up with an idea to put a little frequency sender within the arrow. And a hand held reciver. but the distance that the deer run is enormous. ive seen a gps tracking device like this but i have no idea what its called so i dont know what to look for. if anyone know what the thing is called could you tell me or give a link so i could look into it a little more. THANKS

... Or you could tell him to become a vegetarian.....

SERIOULSY JUST KIDDING! :D

Sorry, once you've had deer that has been properly prepared (I prefer a meatloaf with a generous amount of pork sausage in it) you'll want to go kill one with your bare hands if need be.

As for a tracking arrow, once you've got enough electronics in the arrow to track it reliably, you would wind up with an arrow that isn't going to fly straight anyway.

I know a couple bow hunters and they have never told me they need my help with electronics (tracking) and an arrow.

I would think he should sharpen up his aim and entry point (guys I know shoot stuffed fake ones in the yard). Most people that do this have BIG yards.

Or 30-6 was a good idea too. Why let the dear suffer?

Isn't one of the points of bow hunting is that it's man and simple machine against animal? The only way I can think of doing that sanely on an arrow without makeing it too bulky or heavy is a very basic high frequency beacon which you can directionally track with a yagi and a set of headphones.

I shoot a compound bow.
I don't think a few electronic components inside will hurt the accuracy much.
I might try something like this.
It would probably help me find my arrows anyway when I miss my target.
I never saw anything that small that would transmit very far.
But I did get good results from the words tracking transmitter
on google.

Sciadwian

That is a good idea with the yagi antenna.
It would probably be a yagi for a fm radio or maybe a scanner.

Last edited:
Scanner would probably be a better idea, you'd want to use as high a frequency as possible to keep the yagi small and make it as directional as possible. Tracking transmitters only need to send 'chirps' of RF at short intervals, maybe once a second. I've never tried to build one but you could charge a capacitor and then discharge it through an inductor, careful selection of inductor and capacitor will allow you to transmit chirps at pretty much any frequency. The arrow itself could be the antenna if the shaft is conductive.

I don't have a problem with hunting (it's a lot more humane than mass farming) but I don't agree with hunting with a bow and arrow, it isn't effective or humane as a rifle. I can understand people using archery when there are no alternatives but it obsolete as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with you Hero999.

Also, if his teacher is that bad a shot and it is an animal that might come after him with a miss, getting the next arrow loaded while running might take more time then a second bullet being loaded :D

mramos1 said:
I agree with you Hero999.

Also, if his teacher is that bad a shot and it is an animal that might come after him with a miss, getting the next arrow loaded while running might take more time then a second bullet being loaded :D

Run from a Florida deer? That's a good one, still laughing... Most of the ones I've seen, seem hardly worth the effort. I'm not really into the hunting just for sport thing. I know it's likely the best way for some people to satisfy thier primal urges, but most of the time the deer isn't used for food. There is a guy at work who is totally obsessed, he brags all the time about all the special season hunts he gets into. Does bow, blackpowder, rifle, and would probably go if they had a 'club and stone knife' season...

True a rifle would be more humane for the deer, but not very safe for other hunters in the area. I grew up in Oregon, on the side of Mt. Hood, hunting fatalities were almost a yearly occurance, couldn't guess at the number of people getting hit by a stray bullet. You'd be surprised at how many farm animals get "hunted"...

My thought, the only difference for the hunter getting hit is the amount of noise he/she hears before falling to the ground. :)

Either BANG or swissshhhhhhhh, thumb, twang

Last edited:
If you are putting GPS in an arrow, you might as well install a GPS guidance system. Triangulate, thwack, can’t miss, won’t have to chase it.

Arrow is much better than getting hit by a car or maybe eaten by wild dogs.
With my accuracy I would be giving the animal a sporting chance of getting away.But you wouldn't want it to run into the woods somewhere and not find and eat it.
I don't hunt. I just target shoot because its fun ,annoys the neighbors less than a gun, and costs less than bullets if you don't lose the $5 carbon arrows.
Lskywalker, if you build something could you let us know how it turns out.
I will gladly do the same.

If you could change the frequency or duration of the chirps you could track multiple arrows sort of like rfid.

See Sceadwian's post, use HF and yagi. That = small.

And I will pass on the bullet, arrow, car and wild dogs.

Just trying to further the design.
Your right,the best place to start is to adjust the transmitter.
The transmitter at this site.

**broken link removed**

Is similar to the transmitter in this thread.

I'm fresh out of 2n3904 transistors.The 3904 will be good up to 300mhz.

What about crocodiles?

Last edited:
mramos1 said:
See Sceadwian's post, use HF and yagi. That = small.

Not HF, that needs HUGE aerials - you need UHF or even microwave, to give tiny aerial sizes - perhaps VHF might be OK, as long as a much too short aerial would be enough?.

By a HF, I mean a "high frequency". Higher the frequency the smaller the antenna. I should have spelled it rather typed the two letter (like in the radio bands).

And again Sceadwian pointed this all out way back there :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back