Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help troubleshoot amplified speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't call a little 3" speaker a woofer and I wouldn't call it a Professional passive speaker.

I realise this is going back off topic again, but I'd have to agree with audioguru in regards to Bose being crap.
From the larger companies, I like B&O, McIntosh and Harman/Kardon.
Not that I can afford B&O or McIntosh... There are some of those smaller 'family' companies around that do a lot of hand made stuff which is relatively good too...

Back ON topic however... Go with what everyone's already suggested, another thing would be to check all the cabling to ensure that nothing has had a go at them whilst in storage. Also to get rid of the scratching noise you can first try cleaning the pots with contact cleaner and if that doesn't help... replace them.
OR... Scrap what you have, and get/build something decent. I can assure you any amount of dollars, that you will hear the difference between something half decent and what you already have.

If the pot scratches, it may mean that the blocking capacitor that keeps DC off of it is leaky.

BTW, if bose is bad, which is best/good?

DALI

When listen DALI system have feeling like musical is in your room.

My Ikon 2 works excellence.
But dali is not intend to produce strong bass which you probably want

Last edited:
Years ago, I went to a stereo store and listened to excellent but very expensive speakers. Then I listened to cheaper speakers and selected name brand ones that sounded the same as the expensive ones.

The 8" woofer is in a sealed enclosure and has a response that is flat down to 50Hz. Then my bass enhancement circuits boost the very low frequencies down to 35Hz so the speakers sound and feel like a sub-woofer.
The dome tweeters have a flat response up to frequencies higher than I can hear.

Well, I'm putting this to rest now. I just realized that the speaker is mostly for sentimental value anyway since its more than 10 years old. Bought it around '96 or '97. Might continue to use it or probably get some cheap 2.1 system or something.

Thank you all for putting up with me. But anymore suggestions will be welcomed!

Potentiometre

In the original thread you said

" bass became incosistent and makes some scratchy sound while fiddling with the bass knob".

and that it was unused for some time. Did you try and change the bass potentiometre. These components tend to go bad with humidity. it is difficult that some ic or capacitor went bad.

wow! nice to see that somebody picked up on this.

Anyway, i am planning on modifying this to a of 2.1 system based on its amplifier circuit. Problem is how to integrate the circuit from **broken link removed**.
Lastly, I am using speakers of different impedance. Can it be done? I have 2 speakers from an old radio/cassette player with 3.7ohms impedance and the 8ohm speaker from this for the subwoofer. Lay it to me gently if this seems like a fool's errand OK.

The sub-woofer controller uses a 15 inches sub-woofer speaker being driven from a 400 Watts amplifier. Maybe your sub-woofer speaker is not that big and can't handle that much power. The controller boosts the low frequencies because the enclosure for the sub-woofer is too small for a regular woofer.

I think your speakers from an old radio-cassette player will be cheap garbage.

The sub-woofer controller uses a 15 inches sub-woofer speaker being driven from a 400 Watts amplifier. Maybe your sub-woofer speaker is not that big and can't handle that much power. The controller boosts the low frequencies because the enclosure for the sub-woofer is too small for a regular woofer.
Actually, I am wondering where the subwoofer signal would come from. It will be fed through the existing amp I have along with the left and right channel(?) which is around 40W.
I think your speakers from an old radio-cassette player will be cheap garbage.
I agree but I don't have the heart to dump it either.

Actually, I am wondering where the subwoofer signal would come from. It will be fed through the existing amp I have along with the left and right channel(?) which is around 40W.
The signal to the subwoofer controller should be after the volume control of the amplifier. Usually the "tape output" of an amplifier is not adjusted with the volume control so it cannot be used.

The easiest is to use the speaker outputs and adjust the input resistors of the subwoofer controller to attenuate the signals to a suitable level.

You might want to forget about using the odd subwoofer controller that needs a high-power woofer and a lot of amplifier power.
If your woofer has a low enough frequency response then making a "normal" size for its enclosure and just a lowpass filter will use much less power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back