Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help?under car led help needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djstevieste

hi i want to build something like one of these for under my car https://www.iceled.co.uk/
ifs its not possible then i would just like to build one so that the lights stay on all the time.
im going to use ultra bright leds so they can be seen.and ill put them in a clear plastic tube.
it will be like one of them chaser rope lights you see at christmas but running of a car battery and with ultra bright lights.
any help is much appreciated.

thankyou ste

try looking up 'running lights' on google for a starting point.

Two things that come to mind:

1) I'm pretty sure driving with coloured lights on the bottom of ur car is now illegal.

2) However cool you think you will look, you will actually look like a complete fool.

Legal restictions and other opinions aside , the fitting of exterior lighting to an automobile to enhace it as a (stationary) work of art falls within the scope of this forum, well the guts of the electronics do anyway!

LED resistor calculator...
**broken link removed**

suggest google search for "LED Chaser" this will give a list of kits and some free electronic circuits.

The pic is of my little brothers car, yep , thats blue electroluminescent wire around the dash and door, the door switch cluster was altered to blue leds,(not as simple as u think) and finally electroluminscent strips light the door pockets, connected to the courtesy lamp , so it all flashes on with the alarm keyfob, overide switches for allways on/off or on demand operation.

Attachments

• gw_204.jpg
    gw_204.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 637
thanks for you help everyone i will use all the info and see what i can dig up,and ill let you know how its goin.

and tansis the cars lookin nice

thanks everyone

Silly lights or shock therapy ?

OK so lights on/under/in cars 'aint everybody's idea of heaven...
but is it any less sensible than endless posts about electric shock circuits that seem to have no practical application?
The 'custom car' idea is not my favourite but then a 'binary clock' seems pretty senseless to me.

As for the lights - a common, simple 'rope light' chaser would be a starting point but if something more is wanted could a circuit be produced to give effects similar to those on fairground lights?
I remember a circuit intended for disco lights in an old magazine, Electronics Today International, I think.

OK so now the subject is a Disco/Fairground/Christmas tree/Car light controller - anybody interested? - does that open the market a bit?

djstevieste
There are three questions to be answered -
1/ ... What do you actually want the lights to do - or are you asking "what can they do"?
2/ ... What is your electronics abilty? if we suggest a complex circuit with a microcontroller would it be too much for you to cope with?
3/ ... What kind of budget are you thinking of?

djstevieste said:
hi i want to build something like one of these for under my car https://www.iceled.co.uk/
ifs its not possible then i would just like to build one so that the lights stay on all the time.
im going to use ultra bright leds so they can be seen.and ill put them in a clear plastic tube.
it will be like one of them chaser rope lights you see at christmas but running of a car battery and with ultra bright lights.
any help is much appreciated.

thankyou ste

It's cheaper to just buy the iceled. (over here anyway). You require a enourmous amount of leds wich will cost the same or even more then the kit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back