Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with a current loop circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

thanks for showing me that circuit! :)

I tried it and it's true, it is working I get 4mA to 20mA.

The transistor and the op-amp are not heating! But it's R11 that is heating now. I used a 1/4W.

Correct me if Im wrong but. In R11 there's 24V with a maximum of 20mA. So 20mA*24V = 0,48mW
If I take a resistor of 1W I should be ok?
hi J,
If the dissipation is 0.48W , use a 1W

For 20mA the power dissipated in the 1k resistor is I²R or 0.02² x 1000 = 400mW. The worst-case dissipation if the transistor were fully on into a short circuit would be V²/R or 24²/1000 = 576mW. For either case a 1W resistor will be fine.

Edit: If you are thinking about designing any other circuits, you should consider simulating with a free Spice program such as LTSpice. A simulator allows you to verify that the circuit is likely to work before you build the breadboard. It often saves a lot of redesign and reworking of the breadboard circuit.

Last edited:
Yeah good idea to simulate a circuit before making it :)

I pluged 4 resistors of 4K 0.25W in parallel and they are heating I don't understand!
It should do the same thing as a 1K 1W resistor no?

I mesured that 8.5mA is going through the 4 resistors, so 8.5/4 is the current in each resistor. It should not heat normally! It's something wrong with the transistor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back