Help with a current loop circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi J,
If the dissipation is 0.48W , use a 1W

For 20mA the power dissipated in the 1k resistor is I²R or 0.02² x 1000 = 400mW. The worst-case dissipation if the transistor were fully on into a short circuit would be V²/R or 24²/1000 = 576mW. For either case a 1W resistor will be fine.

Edit: If you are thinking about designing any other circuits, you should consider simulating with a free Spice program such as LTSpice. A simulator allows you to verify that the circuit is likely to work before you build the breadboard. It often saves a lot of redesign and reworking of the breadboard circuit.

Last edited:
Yeah good idea to simulate a circuit before making it

I pluged 4 resistors of 4K 0.25W in parallel and they are heating I don't understand!
It should do the same thing as a 1K 1W resistor no?

I mesured that 8.5mA is going through the 4 resistors, so 8.5/4 is the current in each resistor. It should not heat normally! It's something wrong with the transistor...

I pluged 4 resistors of 4K 0.25W in parallel and they are heating I don't understand!
It should do the same thing as a 1K 1W resistor no?

Yes, but a 1W resistor dissipating 567mW is going to be pretty hot - the rating doesn't mean it runs cool, it just means it survives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…