Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help with art project

Status
Not open for further replies.

sculptor

Hi - I am working on an art project that incorporates sound. I would like to place two speakers in the frame of a doorway. The speakers would be running off of a DVD player (there's a video component in the art). My first question is - what kind of very small speakers would be best to use that are compatible with a DVD output? I would like to set them right into the door frame- so that the front of the speaker is flush with the frame. I have thought about car speakers but question compatability with a DVD player (the frame is only 6 inches wide). My second question: I hope to have a switch set into the door frame (like the light in a refrigerator - that goes on when you open the door) I would like to have the sound come on when the door is open and no sound when the door is closed. The TV and DVD will be continuously playing - but I want the sound to be intermittent. Can you advise the best way to do this? I've done a bit of wiring on projects but would really appreciate advice on the easiest and best way to do this-thanks-sandra

art project

it doesn't have the look I want to use. the Tvs I'm using are old school - as they have the feel I want in the exhibit-s

the circuit would need amplification to amplify the dvd players music level to speaker level which is at a much louder level. eg. if you plug headphonesinto yoursound card you wond get music loud enough to listen to on the otherside of the room.

why not get computer speakers and plug them into the headphone jack and take the speakers out of the cases and place your own in place of them. however make sure the ohmage is the same.

EDIT: Why not just use the speakers in the tv. if you need to have the sound muted tell me and i will tell you how to do it. however it will require you to take the tv apart for minor modding if it has a built in dvd player othwise you can modd the cable.

Last edited:
this all makes sense - but just to make sure we are on the same page -I have a video DVD playing in the dvd player. The speakers will hook up to the DVD - does not the tv work like an amplifier in this situation?
as to placement - I didn't think about removing the speakers from their housing. Thats a great idea (do I need to watch out for anything- changing sound etc)? I have heard of "ohmage" but afraid my knowledge stops there - what do I have to watch out for and is the ohmage rating easily available? thanks for the helpful advice--s

if your getting the signal from a headphone jack it will need amplification

the ohmage rating of a speaker is the resistance of the speaker throm the 2 terminals. if you take your speakers apart you will find on the speakers themselfs it will have a number and then an ohm sign. this is the ohmage rating. you need to make sure this is the same. if your extending the speakers from the amp board itself using wire make sure you use good quality audio cable with screening to prevent interference. if you need more info please say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back