help with gps

Status
Not open for further replies.

athba

hi

i need help in my project .i want gps that con be work indoor and cover the gulf country Qatar . i want it with serial port to connect it wit spartan 3e xilinx

I'm sorry to say that GPS doesn't work very well indoors. Your best chance would involve an active patch antenna on an extended ground plane. It may have escaped your notice that the actual gps signal is usually below the noise floor so amplification is generally ineffective. At 1.577 GHz you really need an unobstructed LOS to at least 4 satellites.

There are plenty of commercial GPS modules that you can buy, and many of them have a standard serial interface like you want. Go search the web and look at what's available. Whether or not you can get one that's good enough to work indoors is another story - I've never personally seen a GPS unit that could manage that, though I also haven't played with units with high-quality external antennas, rather than the little on-board patch antennas.

If you want to find one that is sensitive enough for your needs, you should be talking to the manufacturers and/or retailers that sell them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…