Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help with infrared ranger for sumo competetion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydag71

Hullo all once again! I am back working on my mini-sumo having taken a break from the rc truck platform-bot. These required infos will pertain to both bots and likely many others to come though...

For sumo comps a handy sensor to have is ir detection or ranging. Most everyone has them and this poses design problems as far as I can understand due to the freq commonly used to help filter out noisy conditions and other errors.

In my design I would like to do ranging but also use an adjustable freq for the sensors. I want to employ both a pair of Sharp rangers and some custom sensors as well....

I have chosen to use Sharp rangers (gp2y0a02yk) for 'long distance' detection and measurement- one located both in front and at the rear,, they will be good for ranges between ~10-80cm, plenty for a sumo competition but not so good for shorter range sensing where measurements need to be fast and accurate as possible. With the sharp rangers I can probably employ some type of software filtering system to weed out others rangers from giving my bot a bad signal, or at least that is my guess. Everyone uses these types of rangers but at long distances I doubt I will have much issues, I hope.

Most of the custom designs I have encountered thus far have been detectors, but not able to do ranging. I have managed to find a couple that look promising but they do not employ any type of adjustable freq. I am hoping that someone knows of an existing design that I will be able to employ to easily fit these needs.

I need to have one custom short range sensor on each corner, and perhaps have each driver pair (l and r) tie into one photo-diode per pair?

At this point I would be happy to get any design tips or tricks to make a more robust sensor design able to both detect and do ranging in such a way so others cannot interfere with smooth operation? I'm not sure how much is able to be accomplished in software as opposed to hardware, what the advantages of either approach might be, and how to interface with the main PIC controller. I need help as usual.

Many thanks in advance for advice on this one. regards, jd

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back