Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help with laser disco ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronnoc1010

hello

i am building a 32 sided globe with different colored lasers on each side.
the main problems i am having:
1. where do i get the lasers(preferably cheap)
2. How do i power them?
and
3. how do i wire them to light 1 color then the other then the other

am i going to need an arduino?
sorry for such beginner questions

thanks in advance

connor

Deal Extreme has all kinds of cheap laser products.
**broken link removed**

PS. I wouldn't use that kind of "disco ball" anywhere near people. It is a hazard for peoples eyesight. And will look crappier than a regular mirrorball+spotlights.

The only cheap lasers you're going to find are red, that's it. Green lasers are expensive because they're actually frequency multiplied optical lasers using a diode as the starting point. Blue lasers are even more expensive. A red laser module will probably only set you back a few dollars, A blue/violet laser or a green one will cost around 25 bucks, a true blue one will set you back 50-100 or more, each.
As misterT said this is extremely hazardous to anyone they're pointed at, lasers have to be treated with care.

You can get red laser diodes for a buck a pop (plus often a white LED, a few button cells, and a microswitch) from a $1 laser pointer at the local dollar store. Bit of a pain to open them up sometimes but not too bad.

Also this is probably the least dangerous route. You want really weak lasers.

Note I said "least dangerous", not "safest". I wouldn't be walking into a room if I knew it had a ball like that in it. I kinda like being able to see.

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back