Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help with resistors

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbiblis

This is part of a thermostat. The problem is that the pot is to touchy. Just touching it throws the temp off 1 degree. I need to make it less touchy. I can sacrifice the 70-106 degree range and go with 95-105. I have looked in my books and can't find the equation to figure the changes that i need to make. I know that the 1.5K is the Temperature max and the 1K to ground is the Temperature minimum. The pot has a value of 1K. Do i swap the pot for a 500R and make the R12 a 1.5K? Can some one tell me the formula. I found the Vout=Vin x ( R2 / R1+R2) but that's as much as i can find for this application. At a guess useing this formula does that me the the voltage value for each extreme of the pot dial would be from 3.42V-5.14V? Thanks.

Attachments

• pot swap..png
    pot swap..png
    7.3 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
R14 = 1750Ω and R15 = 1250Ω.

Algebra works every time. Two equations in two unknowns.

Last edited:
Thanks mike. What equation did you use? Remember, i'm new to this stuff.

Kinda rough. I learned how to do this in High school in 1959 :p

Attachments

• 2Equ2Unk.png
    2Equ2Unk.png
    630.9 KB · Views: 181
Ok. I understand. From my calculations. The old configuration ranged 3V-6.86V. With the alteration to the R1 and R2 i show a new range of 5V-6V. Which is to tight of a range. So i need to use a 750 pot which will give me an r14 @ 1625 & R15 @ 1125 giving me a range of 4.91V-6.42V which is perfect for my application. Thanks again mike.

Oops. There isn't a 750 ohm pot available from my suppliers in a dial type. Is there a way to make a 1k pot into a 750 with resistors?

*Deleted post*

(Sorry, that was a stupid question. I guess that a resistor in parallel with the pot will work.)

Last edited:
Yep, that will work. Another trick would be to keep the 1000Ω pot, but make the two end resistors higher. That will reduce the current through the divider a bit, but that likely doesn't matter. Many ways to skin a cat.

Yep, that will work. Another trick would be to keep the 1000Ω pot, but make the two end resistors higher. That will reduce the current through the divider a bit, but that likely doesn't matter. Many ways to skin a cat.

I think that i have my solution to my problem. I will put a 3k resistor on the 1k pot to bring it down to 750, then make the r2 a 1.2k and the r1 a 1.8k. The value at the set point is 5.27V. My range will be 4.8V-6.2V. I'm so excited that i learned something that i think that I'll apply it to all of the E24 resistor values and make a graph. Someones probably already done it but it will help me remember.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back