Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with Water Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tank should be OK for a day or two with only one of the two filter pumps running. They run non stop, non-controlled.

The tank should be OK for a day or two with only one of the two filter pumps running.
So as a minimum you would have a 20V backup supply capable of ~1A average, 4.4A peak, over a 24-hr period, i.e. ~24AH capacity. Perhaps a SMPS converting 12VDC to 20VDC, running from a 12V deep-discharge battery? There would also have to be means for switching that to supply a filter pump when the normal supply fails, and means for keeping the battery charged.

Are the power supplys actually 20 volts?
They're nominally 24V but adjusted down to their minimum setting (~20V). 24V is too much for the pumps they drive.
are they swithers?
Don't know. Whatever they are they're not modifiable by the OP.

How about running everything off of a 12 volt battery. Diode isolate it from the 12 and 24 volt supplies and recharge it with the 20 volt supply.

Joe, do you think 2 pumps running off 12V would give enough flow through the filters? Can you try a pump running from a 12V battery?

@alec
There is a lot involved with a decent charger. The UPS's from mini-box almost seem like an excellent solution and they would give 20 V out. The mini-box UPS would not support two 12 V batteries in series though.

For fun and giggles look here: **broken link removed**

But I'll bet the price is much more that $100 USD?

When I get home tomorrow evening, I'll check out power supply specs.
A backup would be nice. Any chance of rigging something up with a car battery after we get the water moving about?
Can't remember what the alarm draws, but it's not much. Will double check. So it sounds like just one v reg for the entire rig. Thanks all.
KISS I'm on an IPad and my fat fingers hit your - when I tried to hit your +. You get nothing but +from me. Sorry and thanks.+++++++

By the way KISS, I negated that accidental "-1" for you ;)

Regards

Joe, do you think 2 pumps running off 12V would give enough flow through the filters? Can you try a pump running from a 12V battery?

I think 2 pumps running on 12V would be enough flow to stave off disaster.
I have a modified OEM controller that has 10.somethingV, IIRC. I will hook it up. It is cold outside and I'd hate to try to rig up the pumps on my truck battery and I also don't want to take the battery out of the truck.

For the two filter pumps that will not be connected to the wave or tide controller, (but will be the only pumps connected to speed control) I built two pulse width sections (PWS) and one speed set section (SSS). I tried to paste those schematics to the reply box with no luck.
I don't have the terminal points soldered in yet-just a bunch of dangling labeled wires. I want to test the speed control but I’m confused by the interconnections sheet. It shows “fast” from speed control connected to the tidal timer. I don’t have a “fast” terminal point on the tidal timer, and the only pumps to be slowed down are the filter pumps.
“Prolong” from the PDM is connected to speed control, but I don’t have a “prolong” hook on speed control.
At one point, we talked about a “trigger” hook for later on. It would be to attempt to tie the speed control to an automatic feeder. I’m not sure which one of you guys came up with that idea, but it’s a good one! All the links are apparently gone, so I could not access where to make that connection. Any help there would be greatly appreciated. I hope to find an hour or two to spend soldering tomorrow.
Thanks all for thinking about this and again, sorry about the fat fingers missing the +.

I think 2 pumps running on 12V would be enough flow to stave off disaster.
Useful. That would simplify backup power arrangements.
I built two pulse width sections (PWS) and one speed set section (SSS).
Good.
I tried to paste those schematics to the reply box with no luck.
I can't paste things either. Bummer. Hopefully EM will get the site fixed soon.
I’m confused by the interconnections sheet. It shows “fast” from speed control connected to the tidal timer. I don’t have a “fast” terminal point on the tidal timer, and the only pumps to be slowed down are the filter pumps.
I think that's down to me being confused as to which pumps you wanted to slow down :). I added a fast/slow switch to the tidal timer schematic. Just ignore that and connect the 'fast' terminal of the speed control to either 12V or ground to select full or slow speed respectively. Then adjust the trimmers of the speed control so that at max speed the measured average voltage across the pump is ~18V (which is what KISS and I consider to be the best for pump longevity) and min speed is suitable for your feed mode.
“Prolong” from the PDM is connected to speed control, but I don’t have a “prolong” hook on speed control.
There should be a 'prolong' output from the speed control and a 'prolong' input to the PDM. Those are the 'hooks' (for which read 'provisions for connection').
At one point, we talked about a “trigger” hook for later on. It would be to attempt to tie the speed control to an automatic feeder.
That's simply the 'Fast' signal line/switch.

Hope all goes well with the build.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back