Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRivera83

How are you doing today everyone. I'm currently and engineering student at NJIT. My partner and I are stuck on our senior project idea. We are trying to build a electronic palm reader (scans palm lines). This is a microcontroller project, but so far we have been dead-ended with the fact that this is more of an image processing project. If anybody has an idea on how to do this it will be greatly appreciated!!! :-(

I would suggest you're going about it the wrong way? - the usual method would be to do it first using something with some processing power (like a PC), so you can prove the principle works, while having a platform with good tools. After that's fully functional, and you understand how it all works, then it's time to see about moving it to much smaller hardware.

Perhaps you could use some kind of modified scanner to take the image and compare it?

You might want to consider taking the diode sensor pick up out of a fax machine. It's small, and can read down to 600dpi.

You say your project is to build an "electronic palm reader", do you mean that it just scans a palm to an image? or that it actually has to identify people based on their palms?

Or is it to tell them their fortune?

I think the scanner might be a cool idea if you get it to work =)

There are commercial palm scanners that use infra-red.
see: **broken link removed**

Looks like it would be a very complex project to make with a microcontroller though.

Hand Scanner ?

We use these where I work they measure shape and thickness of your hand, not the palm.

**broken link removed**

with a computer this would be possible, you should find out if you can use one instead of a microcontroller, you could write some software that compares hand pictures and you could make the hardware for it too. tought project however you decide to go about it.

brevor would it be possible to make a cast mould of you hand and get a friend to sign you into work :p

All of these ideas are bad, with basic knowledge of how the device works they can be faked, sometimes very easily. Mythbusters did a spot on a commercial finger print sensor and used at least two seperate methods to fake a positive match. Palm sensors obviously would be more difficult, but not by much. The entire biometrics industry is more security through obfuscation than through any real world superior method of identification.

Sceadwian said:
All of these ideas are bad, with basic knowledge of how the device works they can be faked, sometimes very easily. Mythbusters did a spot on a commercial finger print sensor and used at least two seperate methods to fake a positive match. Palm sensors obviously would be more difficult, but not by much. The entire biometrics industry is more security through obfuscation than through any real world superior method of identification.

On the contrary, i thought some of the were good! :rolleyes:

evandude said:
You say your project is to build an "electronic palm reader", do you mean that it just scans a palm to an image? or that it actually has to identify people based on their palms?
Yes, our prof. gave us this idea. A device that will scan a user's palm lines and then display their fortune. The thing is we definitely need to use a microcontroller, we can't use a PC.

this makes things a bit easier, you could quite easily just cheat! have it scan you palm then generate a fourtune from a list of random fortunes.

if you were going to try and do it for real you could scan a persons hand to give an analogue or digital reading for set sections of a persons hand, say every 5mm or so and the pic combine these measurement to chose a fourtune for that person, or a list of fortunes. so if on the first 5mm reading there is a line then give the foutune your will be rich, if not give the fortune u will be poor. i think you would have to enter in the size of the persons hand for it to work tho. anyways theres a few idea for you :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back