High amp constant current

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vacilando

I need the schematics for a high amp constant current source. I have searched the web, but most articles about constant current is about LEDs or chargers.
I live in Norway and one of the problems we have here when it gets really cold (-20°) is that the water pipes freezes. One of the tricks then is to run a current along the frozen pipe and it will thaw.
I don't know what input voltage I will use, so it should take anything betwenn 12 & 40 Volts.
The max current should be at least 10 Amp.

I have seen a lot of constant current sources using a 317, would it work if I connected that to one or a few 3055?

Ideally I should use AC input, then I don't have to rectifie the input.
PS
I am new here, and I liked the little box to the right to get electronic symbols, but it lacked the ° <ALT><248>

So you want a PSU to run a high current low voltage supply through copper pipes?

First off you could just use a transformer and use AC from that and you should use regulation in the form of a power resistor for ease, you could go into pulse modulation but that's too complex for your use. Remember you want real low voltage and high amps for it to get it hot.

Second and the most important fact. Are you pipes earthed? If so running high currents and voltages through could be very detrimental to other house hold equipment that is also earthed. Massive things could go wrong with just about everything that is digital e.g TV's computers and so on and of course other things like amplifiers.

Last edited:
In Canada we heat our homes so the indoor water pipes and the people don't freeze in winter.
We use an indoors shut-off for water pipes that go outdoors then it doesn't matter if they get very cold.

Why does this have to be regulated? All you are doing is thawing pipes. A big car battery and a rheostat will do this. We did this with an arc welder set on low current years ago.

10 amps wont do much to a water pipe.

You need a few hundred to thaw frozen pipes if they have not already burst someplace. As mentioned earlier the old AC arc welder method is a tried and true method and its still used now and then even today.

I used a 24V/150Ah truck battery when the pipes were frozen.

Works within minutes.

Boncuk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…