high-res (<0.02deg) gimbal mount. Gearhead Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.

astronomerroyal

Greetings,

The goal:

I'm trying to build a motorized gimbal mount for my (fairly hefty) SLR camera. The purpose of the mount is to pan and tilt according to a programmed trajectory while taking images for a time lapse movie.

I have to build this more-or-less from scratch as it will eventually need to be highly programmable. So no off-the-shelf motorized telescope mounts. 1.8degree stepper motors are too coarse for direct-drive and so need gearing down. Microstepping might almost work (I've not tried this) but the motor must NOT be energized between shots as the 12v battery must last for hours. therefore, I'm fairly sure I need a gearhead.

So far:

Currently I have a one-axis microcontrolled prototype; one NEMA23 sized unipolar stepper-motor that directly turns a rotary table's handle. Exactly like this,

**broken link removed**

The rotary table's worm-gear provides a gear-down of 36x, so the final single-step resolution is 1.8deg (from stepper) / 36 (from table) =0.05degress. Barely adequate resolution, very heavy, only one axis, and the table gets so stiff from grease viscosity at freezing temps that everything locks up.

The solution?

Ideally I want to end up with something like this,

YouTube - 2 Axes Gimbal Mount

I understand that using bipolar steppers will provide more torque than unipolars - I wasn't entirely blown away with the torque my nema23 unipolar supplied. As for resolution, can I buy small 'worm gearheads'? I'm not familiar with gear assemblies and the terminology, but I need to gear down by about 100x, ideally more. Also needs to remain in position even when motor is off, which I believe a worm gear is especially good at. Perhaps stick these on something like this,

Bogen / Manfrotto | 393 Heavy Duty Gimbal Type Telephoto | 393

Particularly interested in hearing your thoughts about 'gearheads', how to select them and where to find them.

Good rotary tables and indexers can be had for a song today in the used market, as everything for machining is going CNC. Some indexers will give you two axes (tilt and rotation).

You will need something more powerful to drive them.

Use low temperature grease...check out aviation supply houses. Aircraft fly at very low temperatures and still need controls and landing gear to work.

John

Hi,

check astronomy sites, those boys use SLR's to track whilst taking pics of the night sky. I have seen some very complicated DIY camera platforms on two axis.

Why not buy a Meade yolk for their tracking telescopes which may have everything you need. Or others GM 8

Cheers
Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…