High voltage ion motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andynerd

I have 2 medium size Ferrite Core Transformers (one from an old alarm clock and the other from a mac centris 610) and i would like to create a high enough voltage to make an ion motor work (my project is about ion propulsion) I am really hoping to amaze my teacher. I also have an old inversion motor and i was thinking hey! maybe if I wrapped the rotor with some 12 gauge wire a few times and ran a current through it that it could work kinda like a Tesla coil like thing.

P.S. I have to do it by tomorrow and i am not getting magnetic enamel wire people! I just don't have the time. Anyway the science lab has normal AC plugs and a handy 25V DC plug. if you need any more info just ask.

I did that once, with a 250kV Tesla Coil years ago. Not sure what the minimal voltage is, but pretty sure you ain't going to make it with what you have on hand by tomorrow. Maybe a flyback out of a monitor or TV, ignition coil from a car, bug zapper, air ionizer...

Might try searching Google for high voltage science fair projects, but think your time is too short.

i wish i had a fly back but my dad is like so against me taking things apart he is scared of me getting lead/mercury/ or some other type of poisoning but ya i know so little stuff hmm how much voltage would i need? for an ion motor? a simple one

P.S. i have all the parts from the power supply and radio including the heatsinks and stuff

If you google there are plenty of such projects to build, but you don't appear to have anything useful there to build one.

ya i know but really i can't get anything and i bet i could build something! but really i was wondering more about the motor do you think maybe i could wrap a few turns of wire around the iron rotor then use the motor as a secondary winding and then bam i don't have to do much.

P.S. wow i am feeling stupider and stupider by the second

Is there anything i could do to show how ions work for my science project and btw just give me things i can do i will worry about time. Also what i have is what i get to use i have a bunch of stuff not just what i was talking about i was just seeing if i could do a cool thing with them that was it i just wanted to see how it worked because i can't find a datasheet for it the transformer has 2 terminals on one side -+ and 5 on the other of many colours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…