High voltage PIC programmer (5 V input)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bananasiong

**broken link removed**
This is my new PIC programmer. It is actually compatible with Tait programmer, just some modification done from EPIC programmer.
The input voltage required is only 5V, but this is not a low voltage programmer. Since only low current is required for the Vpp for high voltage programming, I've designed low current charge pump to charge up to 12.x V.
Besides, my old EPIC programmer is able to program 18 pins and 40 pins PIC (direct plug in); after some modification, more PICs with different number of pins can be plugged in directly to the programmer, they are 40 pins, 28 pins, 18 pins and 8 pins.
Tested PICs are PIC16F877A, PIC16F876A, PIC16F88, PIC16F628A, and PIC12F629. And I found that 20 pins PIC such as PIC16F631 has the same programming pins with 8 pins PIC, PIC12F629. Unfotunately, I do not have one 20 pins PIC, didn't have the chance to try it but it can be used as long as the PIC is supported by the software. I planned to have in circuit programming socket and compatibility for 10F PICs, but the routing is really the nightmare
I don't use ziff socket because it is really expensive over here. This programmer cost me less than the half price of the ziff socket. The programmer size is also smaller with my design.
Prevent is better than cure, so I've added pull down resistors at PGM pins and some capacitors for PGD and PGC filtering.
There is only one tiny 5 V voltage regulator at the corner of the board, the charge pump can charge up to 12.x V which is suitable for programming.
Since I'm using low dropout voltage regulator (0.1 V max), there is no any problem for me to program my PIC with my nokia charger (5.3 Vdc output). So I don't need to use my old programmer with the huge transformer anymore.
**broken link removed**

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 171
  • Back Per.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 178
  • All.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Hi,
I've seen this programmer, but it is unusable for some computers. It is because of the voltage in the serial port is not enough for high voltage programming. For notebook,
If TxD, DTR, and RTS do not have more than +7.5V(or -7.5V), this programmer will not work well, especially, with the latest laptop computers that using low power RS232 interface ICs.
That's why I didn't go for serial programmer.
Besides, that is the zif socket which I said that is expensive in my place. I don't need any switch for the programmer as well, and the programmer size is only 1.5" * 2.5"
It's all depending on the user, as long as the programmer is working.
I feel good using my own design

I get your point. pc compatibility is be analysed. meantime ZIF socket is not a must and perhaps you can mount normal cheap ones few of them and inter wire witha local design pcb. we do te samething. reg laptop interface i shall come back

Sarma

Hi,
Just read Feng's page, I have read from somewhere else also saying that some PIC refuse to work when both internal oscillator and internal pull up MCLR are enabled. Will the programming software show any error message? Or the PIC can be programmed but cannot be used?

bananasiong said:
It is a parallel port programmer.
Isn't Tait programmer a parallel port programmer?

David Tait (the father of PIC programmers) did various types of programmers, although he's most famous for parallel port ones using open-collector gates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…