Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

home protection issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyking

Hi, i'm in dire need of help with making a rf jammer. I know people have used these things for illegal purposes but, my intentions are to use it for HOME PROTECTION ONLY. I've seen these things on ebay and other places but, they're way outta my price range. I don't care if it's battery operated or plug-in. It would be nice though to not have to change batteries. can anyone help?

How do you intend to "protect" your home by jamming RF signals? Are you expecting a Cylon invasion?

Very funny :p
I have some frat brothers that like to goof around.
Do you know how to make one?

RF covers a lot of territory. Need to be much more specific, but basically a bad, and mostly useless idea... Not imposable, just jamming usually involves drowning out the transmitter with a stronger signal, might cause problems for other people around you, which would cause trouble for you, if/when you get caught.

If you know the frequency, just get/make a stronger transmitter. If you are looking to pretty much cover everything, won't likely find much help here, since they won't help jam Cell (tool of the devil) Phones.

RF covers a lot of territory. Need to be much more specific, but basically a bad, and mostly useless idea... Not imposable, just jamming usually involves drowning out the transmitter with a stronger signal, might cause problems for other people around you, which would cause trouble for you, if/when you get caught.

If you know the frequency, just get/make a stronger transmitter. If you are looking to pretty much cover everything, won't likely find much help here, since they won't help jam Cell (tool of the devil) Phones.

I'm not worried about getting in trouble. Just some of my friends playing around with some wireless cams and junk. It's just gettin a little bit annoying.
Don't think i need anything to work on cellphones in particular.

The hardwired cameras are cheaper than the RF type and aren't that much harder to conceal. What will you do then?

Why not go to her room instead?

huh????????

I think what folks are trying to tell you is that any signal source which is sufficiently strong to jam the cameras is also going to be noticeable by others, probably by interfering with their equipment. If you are in a populated area--say, a campus--then there's a pretty good chance that you will be discovered and the FCC will pay you a visit. They take this sort of thing pretty seriously, even if you don't think it's a big deal. At the very least they'll take your jammer away.

A better way would be to locate the cameras and spray paint the lenses black. :) You still get to have fun building something (a bug detector) which you can use to locate the cameras' by homing in on their signals.

Torben

I think what folks are trying to tell you is that any signal source which is sufficiently strong to jam the cameras is also going to be noticeable by others, probably by interfering with their equipment. If you are in a populated area--say, a campus--then there's a pretty good chance that you will be discovered and the FCC will pay you a visit. They take this sort of thing pretty seriously, even if you don't think it's a big deal. At the very least they'll take your jammer away.

A better way would be to locate the cameras and spray paint the lenses black. :) You still get to have fun building something (a bug detector) which you can use to locate the cameras' by homing in on their signals.

Torben

no, it's nothing like that. It's a rural area. I'm from AL.
I still don't see what's the big deal. I can buy these online just about anywhere. I just don't have alot of money right now. And i kinda like making cool stuff like this anyway. I've always liked science and working with my hands.

no, it's nothing like that. It's a rural area. I'm from AL.
I still don't see what's the big deal. I can buy these online just about anywhere. I just don't have alot of money right now. And i kinda like making cool stuff like this anyway. I've always liked science and working with my hands.

Mostly it's just that this really isn't the place to look for help building illegal devices. The fact that you see them on the net for sale doesn't mean a thing at all; you can buy bomb plans, child p0rn, and crack pipes online too.

Like I said, if you like the tinkering and building process, build a bug detector. No legal issues and you still get to build something.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you end up doing to solve your problem. And again, it's nothing against you; most people here just won't be that into exposing themselves to possible legal confrontations by helping you build illegal devices, even if they're just for fun.

Regards,

Torben

Last edited:
The $24.99 wireless camera I just bought a month ago, is 2.4 GHz, same as WIFI, older cordless phones. Maybe you could modify something that works in that range.

Mostly it's just that this really isn't the place to look for help building illegal devices. The fact that you see them on the net for sale doesn't mean a thing at all; you can buy bomb plans, child p0rn, and crack pipes online too.

Like I said, if you like the tinkering and building process, build a bug detector. No legal issues and you still get to build something.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you end up doing to solve your problem. And again, it's nothing against you; most people here just won't be that into exposing themselves to possible legal confrontations by helping you build illegal devices, even if they're just for fun.

Regards,

Torben

Yeah i would suppose recording me with my girlfriend ILLEGAL also. I'm not asking anyone to help me build a bomb or a crack pipe just, a means
to protect my privacy. I'm sure if someone has a problem with me not letting them see my girlfriend naked i don't think they could pursue legal action. I don't think a simple rf jammer could pave the way for world domination either.
Thanks for your concerns guys but, for now on get me someone with some d*** kahunas. I'm done explaining.

Never had the need, I'm the guy with the new camera... Beside, the two of you put on such a nice show. :)

Seriously, since 2.4 GHz is a band, and there are a bunch of frequency choices for the cameras, you would need to jam the whole range. My little camera's reciever has a little tuning knob, most likely the exact frequency is unknown, or drifts a little. Why not get a similar camera to your friends, then you would know when they are playing, and where.

Just to really piss on you... they have cameras built into working pens, with a 4 gig DVR, no RF... $35-50. Also got the same thing, fits in a pack of gum.

These cheap cameras don't work in low light, so be green, and turn off the lights, should be familiar with the physiology by now. If your aim is bad, trust me, you'll get corrected quickly (unless she's into it...).

It is much easier to get a camera yourself, put in same room, catch the "spy" on tape putting the can in your room and then
- beat the c**p outta him
- report him to authority
- use your imagination

The 2.4GHz devices are quite imune to disturbances (that's the way they are built). Most of them jump from channel to channel when they detect problems etc, increase power if changing channel does not help, etc.... We were making the 141KHz, 27MHz, 900MHz, 1G2 and 2G4 jammers here for the university .. and that was *very interesting* ... you take a small camera+mic on 2.4G and start jamming the signal while monitoring ether with spectrum analyser ... you see how camera is jumping trough channels and then you see it increasing transmit power (while still jumping trough channels)... the jamming signal that actually blocked the camera disable WiFi in the home block and we got call from the airport (some 60Km away) to ask if we are "testing something again" (they had experience with us as we were making jammers for cell phones for the local theatres) ...

so, cohones or no cohones, it is illegal, depending on the country and "who you work for" you get yelled at or arrested for it .. the power of the jammer and width must be so high in order to "cover" a simple cheap camera that gets
- too expensive to make
- too problematic as it covers too big area
- easily detectable by police

Not to mention that this is not something you can easily build at home... In order to monitor the output frequency and width of the channel you need spectrum analyser, these do not come cheap. You need to worry about very "strange" things like how far the gnd plane is, what is the shape of the pcb trace, does the solder joint have "spike's" etc...

All in all, it is much cheaper to get a room in local motel for a year then to build this yourself. Not to mention the already suggested "turn off the lights" :) .. if they use IR cameras; the have to emit IR light, you can detect this in dark using a single cell phone camera (the IR light will be seen as normal white light on your cell phone camera)... now, this will not help you for the mikes :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back