Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

House Alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

slickonez99

I was wondering if any of you can give me some ideas for a house alarm. I'm currently doing a complete tear out of a house and just had a ADT basic alarm installed. People have tried to break in to this house 6 times now without any success. They've broken 3 windows and almost completely kicked in another. I boarded up the house after replacing the windows and just installed the alarm, BUT it's not hooked up to ADT due to myself being cheap and not wanting to be locked in to a $40/month bill for the next 3 years.

The alarm was installed to sensor both front and back doors with a motion sensor. Unfortunately I have the walls all apart so the wiring is exposed and easily snippable.

Does anyone have any ideas on either how to light the house up if the alarm goes off either using strobes/floodlights/etc? Someone just informed me that I could do basic 12v strobes and hook them directly to the 3 and 4 terminals without relays and such. Problem is i can't find any cheap ones that I can pick up 10 or 12 and place them all over. Does anyone have ideas or want to teach me how to do flood lights with relays?

Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm getting sick and tired of them breaking doors/windows/trying to steal my stuff.

There are floodlights with built in motion detectors, not expensive, most likely cheaper than building your own.

Saw some strobes at an auto parts store for around $12 few years ago, little tempted at the time, might look around there.

Cameras are the best deterrent, thieves have to spend too much time trying to find a recorder, and figure out whether or not it's going out over the internet these days. Unless they know its worth the time and effort, will usually pass.

A big dog from the local animal shelter is usually under $40 to adopt (shots, nut-clip, check up..).

One, that's not an option.
Two, they're only doing it to try to steal the copper/heating equipment and my tools are a plus.

There are floodlights with built in motion detectors, not expensive, most likely cheaper than building your own.

Saw some strobes at an auto parts store for around $12 few years ago, little tempted at the time, might look around there.

Cameras are the best deterrent, thieves have to spend too much time trying to find a recorder, and figure out whether or not it's going out over the internet these days. Unless they know its worth the time and effort, will usually pass.

A big dog from the local animal shelter is usually under $40 to adopt (shots, nut-clip, check up..).

I know about motion floodlights but the people could care less if a light came on.

camera systems are way too expensive

dog is out of the question cause the house is torn apart and way too much s**t for the dog to get hurt on....besides the wife doesn't want animals.

On the plus side of things, she's a cop so once the house is finished and we move in, no one will mess with it. But until then, i have to put up with the 4am attempts. I'm half tempted to sit over there with a 9mm but the law frowns upon that. :mad:

Woooooohooooooo triple post and they all contain info. Sorry.

The reason for strobe lights or auto flood lights is to illuminate the house and make the neighbors know what's going on. If they snip the siren then they'll all think it was disarmed and not call the cops.

I have never used an ADT alarm before, so I can't help you on where to tie into it to activate lights. It would be pretty easy to make the lights latch on, so that they would have to be reset one at a time, but it would also require more wires and parts.

If your wife is a cop can't she get a patrol unit to drive by a few times a night? Increased police patrol might spook the theives.

Last edited:
Essplain.

Yes and no, i live in Philadelphia and the cops are too large to listen to their own. They might drive by once or twice but then the won't drive by ever again.

Its hard to go into detail without knowing how you are going to trigger the extra lights. Like I say, never seen an ADT alarm before. I have no idea what provisions it provides for adding stuff to it.

Things like SCRs and latching relays will stay on after the trigger goes off. This would keep extra lights and sirens on if the wires from the ADT contol box are cut. The power supply could still be cut though. Not sure how you could handle that problem.

To advise better, we would need to know more about the ADT panel. What do terminals 3 and 4 do when the alarm is going off, is it a circuit that closes? How much current can it supply?

Not sure if 3 is a constant hot or a pulsing hot but the siren actually goes in to 3. 4 is a ground. The 4 terminals from the left are 1. transformer power supply, 2. backup power supply, 3. siren hot, 4. grounds.

One of my friends had a simillar problem with his barn. He wired up a outdoor motion in the hall of the barn, but instead of lightbulbs he put in a adaptor with a 120v socket. He then plugged in a radio tuned to a talk channel and covered that up with a feed sack to muffle it.
He turned the time on and sensitivity all the way up and covered the photoeye with tape.
Now when you walk in you hear someone talking but can't really tell where it's coming from.
His problems ended..

I know about motion floodlights but the people could care less if a light came on.

camera systems are way too expensive

dog is out of the question cause the house is torn apart and way too much s**t for the dog to get hurt on....besides the wife doesn't want animals.

On the plus side of things, she's a cop so once the house is finished and we move in, no one will mess with it. But until then, i have to put up with the 4am attempts. I'm half tempted to sit over there with a 9mm but the law frowns upon that. :mad:

You don't have to actually use the floodlights, wire up whatever you like, about 300 watts.

Don't need actually working cameras (not that expensive anymore anyway), just something that looks like it could be a camera. Plenty of 'dummy' cameras for under $10.

Cop? Get some of that 'Crime Scene' tape, why hit some place are ready cleaned out?

How about a temporary wall, doesn't have to be pretty, and usually some good scraps laying around. Done this to keep out bugs, animals, and weather, might help against punks.

Work at night, have a friend stay there. Isn't there a main circuit breaker outside? Or some way for the fire department to quickly cut the power, if needed? What's to stop the thieves?

Dogs, they are usually smart enough not to hurt themselves (sometimes wonder about mine), besides he's expendable. If he chews up a thief, most likely going to get put down anyway. Wasn't suggesting a family pet, more like hiring a security guard.

You don't have to actually use the floodlights, wire up whatever you like, about 300 watts.

Don't need actually working cameras (not that expensive anymore anyway), just something that looks like it could be a camera. Plenty of 'dummy' cameras for under $10.

Cop? Get some of that 'Crime Scene' tape, why hit some place are ready cleaned out?

How about a temporary wall, doesn't have to be pretty, and usually some good scraps laying around. Done this to keep out bugs, animals, and weather, might help against punks.

Work at night, have a friend stay there. Isn't there a main circuit breaker outside? Or some way for the fire department to quickly cut the power, if needed? What's to stop the thieves?

Dogs, they are usually smart enough not to hurt themselves (sometimes wonder about mine), besides he's expendable. If he chews up a thief, most likely going to get put down anyway. Wasn't suggesting a family pet, more like hiring a security guard.
This is my plan so far: Floodlights to be installed, Fake camera, seriously thinking about that talk radio idea, and the temporary wall.

The circuit breaker is only accessable from the basement as is the meter. Fortunatly the only way to cut the electrical is to cut the line which comes in at the roof and travels down a metal casing to the basement, anyone cutting that was some serious balls cause it's a s**t ton of power. The back-up battery to the alarm defeats that though. :D

I personally want a dog, but the wife is completely against it. :(

This is my plan so far: Floodlights to be installed, Fake camera, seriously thinking about that talk radio idea, and the temporary wall.

The circuit breaker is only accessable from the basement as is the meter. Fortunatly the only way to cut the electrical is to cut the line which comes in at the roof and travels down a metal casing to the basement, anyone cutting that was some serious balls cause it's a s**t ton of power. The back-up battery to the alarm defeats that though. :D

I personally want a dog, but the wife is completely against it. :(

Too bad about the dog. If it's a really bad neighborhood, they are much better than an alarm system. Very protective of their territory. Hopefully, it's not the neighborhood, and just people cruising around looking for salvage. Once you get moved in, it won't be on the list...

Too bad about the dog. If it's a really bad neighborhood, they are much better than an alarm system. Very protective of their territory. Hopefully, it's not the neighborhood, and just people cruising around looking for salvage. Once you get moved in, it won't be on the list...

Yea it's not really the neighborhood, it's just the block. It's basically a alleyway block and the people who rent on that block are scum and know that no cops ever go down it unless they're called. They'll be shocked when the alarm goes off and shots are fired. I'm not one for guns but I have a 7 month old daughter and I'll be damned if anyone is going to put her in harms way. There's one rule in PA, if you're going to shoot, make sure he's dead cause then they could sue you. If they're dead.....oh well, you were protecting your home. Weird law.

I was taught a young age, never point a gun at someone, unless you intend to kill them. Another good thing about killing the invader, there is only your version of what happened... Always a good idea to keep a few mis-matched screwdrivers or other sharp pointy weapons you can lend the invader, afterward... Helps just the deadly force requirement.

Personally, I don't own any firearms, no real need. Not too many places you can go to just practice shooting.

After you get settled, you should consider putting a few cameras. Really not as expensive as it was a few years ago. Mine have help clear out some trash in the neighborhood twice. Just picked up a DVR for $200, it's used, but works great. Records 4 cameras 24/7, and motion triggered events, even when doing other stuff. If you got people involved in drugs, snooping around where they don't belong, the video can be enough to move them out of the area. Even if the police can't bust them, it's tough doing business when the dealers and customers know they are being watched.

I was taught a young age, never point a gun at someone, unless you intend to kill them. Another good thing about killing the invader, there is only your version of what happened... Always a good idea to keep a few mis-matched screwdrivers or other sharp pointy weapons you can lend the invader, afterward... Helps just the deadly force requirement.

Personally, I don't own any firearms, no real need. Not too many places you can go to just practice shooting.

After you get settled, you should consider putting a few cameras. Really not as expensive as it was a few years ago. Mine have help clear out some trash in the neighborhood twice. Just picked up a DVR for $200, it's used, but works great. Records 4 cameras 24/7, and motion triggered events, even when doing other stuff. If you got people involved in drugs, snooping around where they don't belong, the video can be enough to move them out of the area. Even if the police can't bust them, it's tough doing business when the dealers and customers know they are being watched.
Yea the one house on the block is real scum. From what I've gathered so far, they deal drugs and are on crack. We've talked about letting narcotics sit in our house to bust them but they'll be pissed off if it's just nickle and dime crap. They want the heavy weights. Other then that house there really isn't any big issues with the neighborhood. Of course no one will stand up and open their mouths though.

I live in a small town, never really a big fan of the big city lifestyle. Around here, there isn't any nickle/dime dealers/users, it's all bad news. I'd think those crackheads would be quick to turn in anyone, to save theirselves from jail. The more times they get popped, the more willing they are to talk. We have a three-strikes law here. Third conviction, they get the max penalty, and little chance at parole. Unfortunately, there seems to be several ways to get around that, if the courts are willing.

Crack in the neighborhood is a real bad thing, they'll steal anything they can get their hands on. Sometimes some pretty stupid, and useless things. I didn't have much of a problem, but had a huge dog (rottweiler mix), which I walked twice a day. He was much nicer than this lab pup I have now, but not many people trusted him. Rotts get such a bad reputation... I'm not such a small man either, but even on drugs, a big dog gets respect from the trash.

Good luck with your new home. Should really work to get that garbage out of the neighborhood, it just grows like a fungus. I use to have trouble with them parking in my driveway, so I went out and wrote down the license plate numbers, told them to park elsewhere. When groups of people, or an expensive car showed up, I took pictures. Police can't do anything if you don't actually see drugs, but crackheads don't like to be documented. It hurts business.

I live in a small town, never really a big fan of the big city lifestyle. Around here, there isn't any nickle/dime dealers/users, it's all bad news. I'd think those crackheads would be quick to turn in anyone, to save theirselves from jail. The more times they get popped, the more willing they are to talk. We have a three-strikes law here. Third conviction, they get the max penalty, and little chance at parole. Unfortunately, there seems to be several ways to get around that, if the courts are willing.

Crack in the neighborhood is a real bad thing, they'll steal anything they can get their hands on. Sometimes some pretty stupid, and useless things. I didn't have much of a problem, but had a huge dog (rottweiler mix), which I walked twice a day. He was much nicer than this lab pup I have now, but not many people trusted him. Rotts get such a bad reputation... I'm not such a small man either, but even on drugs, a big dog gets respect from the trash.

Good luck with your new home. Should really work to get that garbage out of the neighborhood, it just grows like a fungus. I use to have trouble with them parking in my driveway, so I went out and wrote down the license plate numbers, told them to park elsewhere. When groups of people, or an expensive car showed up, I took pictures. Police can't do anything if you don't actually see drugs, but crackheads don't like to be documented. It hurts business.
I'd love to go out and just start punching every one of them but who knows what they got. I don't need superaids blood being thrown on my clothes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back