Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

House Alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately a bad neighborhood is a hard thing to improve and the end result is the good folks simply get fed up and leave. The result is a downward spiral as property values go in the toilet.
About the only thing you can do is make your stuff less attractive than your neighbors stuff. Lights, cameras, even fake ones can act as a deterrent.

If its a small problem, like just a rental house or apartment, it's not too tough to turn around. But I'm looking at this from my neighborhood, in a small town. Your wife's a cop, so should be much easier. Does the wife get to park a patrol car in the driveway?

If its a small problem, like just a rental house or apartment, it's not too tough to turn around. But I'm looking at this from my neighborhood, in a small town. Your wife's a cop, so should be much easier. Does the wife get to park a patrol car in the driveway?

lmfao. Philadelphia Police aren't allowed to bring home cars. **** they don't even get in the same car every day.

That's a shame, great deterrent. Years ago the used one parked in the median, with an inflatable cop behind the wheel (unmanned traffic control...). One of perks of living in a small town. Guess they have to reprogram the stereo presets every shift... Least they can blame any minor damages on the other shift.

That's a shame, great deterrent. Years ago the used one parked in the median, with an inflatable cop behind the wheel (unmanned traffic control...). One of perks of living in a small town. Guess they have to reprogram the stereo presets every shift... Least they can blame any minor damages on the other shift.

You'd be shocked at the amount of blame. Now they have to go over their cars before they get in them and if they neglect it and the next shift gets it.....oh well, blames on you for not doing your job. It's amazing when you get in to such a huge police dept, how screwed up things really are.

Spot lights don't cause confusion, strobe lights and loud sirens do. Ever try to run with a siren screaming and a strobe light blinking on and off...extremely hard to do. Not sure what it's like in your state, but from what I have seen/heard that US people are sue happy, so even if a burglar trips and hurts himself you might get sued. Best to deter them with the strobes and sirens. You know you can connect to other monitoring companies right? I have 24hr 365 day coverage for $5/mo... Mind you I didn't buy into the ADT scam and bought my own high end alarm equipment (DSC is one of the best out there) and only pay the monitoring fee.

I have heard of people installing a sound system connected to their security system that plays the sound of a really large dog barking savagely just inside the door. A nice touch would be the sound of a clanking chain suggesting the dog is restrained but can get close to the door without reaching it, which explains why the would-be intruder never hears the dog lunging and scratching at the door.

Of course, you could do the randomly timed lights going on and off up to midnight or so, with a radio or TV playing quietly. This suggests someone is actually in the house. And when some Bozo tries the door, Fido sounds off and a clearly irate home owner is heard to yell,"Is that another G*mn copper thief AGAIN!! Tear him a new one, Beezelbub!! Sic 'em!!" A touch of flashing floods at this moment will hasten their departure.

Might be expensive, but parking a clunker in the driveway might help sell the idea someone is there after dark if you go the random lights route.

Good luck.
kenjj

Of course, you could do the randomly timed lights going on and off up to midnight or so, with a radio or TV playing quietly. This suggests someone is actually in the house. And when some Bozo tries the door, Fido sounds off and a clearly irate home owner is heard to yell,"Is that another G*mn copper thief AGAIN!! Tear him a new one, Beezelbub!! Sic 'em!!" A touch of flashing floods at this moment will hasten their departure.

Reminds me of Home Alone 2. :D

Reminds me of Home Alone 2. :D
Think you can better hire the entire serie of Home Alone and build all these trics in your house. Some superglue on the stairs for example :)

What helps...
- Big flood light on sensitive spots with a 'fake' security camera pointed to it. Thieves hate to be seen.
- Simulate with timers that someone is all time at home and awake! Put the TV on for example.
- Hang up a sign ''trespassers will get a free funeral service!''
- Hang up a sign that your premise is 24/24 guarded and protected by an professional security company. These days you can print a real looking sign with your computer.
- Work with sensors and when they pass, big flood/spotlight on the sensor and put the entire house in light. An audible warning through speakers will warn them extra, especially with text as '' This house is protected and security guard is on his way to kill your ass! So fcuk off...''

Lived for a while in the same situation as you do and after using these signs, lights and warnings, it stopped and they never came back anymore. Think your wife will know that when a buglar can gets easy its stuff, it will come back much more... if your house looks like a fort and your neighbor not, they will go to his... they always choose for the most easy one... they in fact very lazy...

good luck!:)

Relax. It's only a problem while you're alive.

I used to live in Vallejo, California, home to Mare Island Navy Base (now closed). There is a small water front park on the other side of the straits from the base. This spring, metal thieves stole the brass plaque commemorating the sailors lost to action in World War II. It wasn't particularly large, but was probably 100 pounds or so. They had to pry it out of a concrete base, which must have taken some time, so you can only marvel at their cojones, even though it happened in the dead of night. Hard times have befallen Vallejo since the base closed in 1995, and the police are being cut back more all the time for lack of funds. And hard times are now coming to the US in general. People stealing supplies from construction sites is now a common action, and worse is coming. I have a friend who does construction work. His employer had to put up hidden cameras with night vision to catch the security guards stealing supplies. They literally ripped all the wiring out of the street lighting laid just that day by my friend.

No, Philadelphia is not in Africa, but American cities are getting just as wild. I sleep with a 12GA pump action Mossberg next to my bed, and all six rounds are 3-1/2", with buckshot. You can steal anything you like from my property, but you have to run faster than 400 FPS to keep it.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus, but now he keeps a Rottweiller in the sleigh.
'Nuff said. Happy holidays to you and yours. May you thrive and prosper.
kenjj

Geez!
I don't think I will visit Wild African America anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back