How can I filter out an inverter for less noises

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaetan8888

Hello

A true-sinewave inverter cost too much for me. So I have a Xantrex XPower 1000 inverter.

This 1000 watt inverter do have a modified sinewave output.

Is it possible to filter the output voltage to bring it closer to a sine wave signal and have much less noise ?

And I did buy mosfets and diodes to double them in parallel on the inverter board, I will use a bigger heat-sink, so it may go a bit more than the 1000 watt, but I can not find any number on the two transformers.

Anybody would know what type of transformers it can be ?

I include photos of the insides of my Xantrex inverter, with some parts numbers on the first photo.

BTW, Xantrex do not reply to any parts request or technical question.

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

"Is it possible to filter the output voltage to bring it closer to a sine wave signal and have much less noise ?"

Yes of course. A multi-pole low pass filter should improve the waveform and attenuate any high frequency noise components. However at these voltage and current values you will need pretty expensive high quality components and take up quite a bit of space. Any filter design manual/guide/software should be helpful to get you started.

Lefty

At the very low mains frequency two inductors in series with the load would have a high loss. A capacitor with the two inductors would form a third-order lowpass filter.

If no single load exceeds 1000W, I would buy a second inverter and split the loads between them. Unless you know what you are doing, adding another transformer, diodes and FETS, will ensure you will be buying a new inverter anyway. How much power does the load which requires a "pure sinewave" need? If it is low power, you could just filter the feed to that device, thus reducing the size/expense of the filter components.

Hello

Any LC filters I've seen in the web was not for a very variable load like for an inverter, the pole frequency cut was varying a lot with the load, and I would like to filter as close as possible to 60hz.

Any web page to suggest ?

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

Not to mention the Avg power of a sinewave is lower than a sqrwave, so you would lose efficiency. I think?

Not to mention the Avg power of a sinewave is lower than a sqrwave, so you would lose efficiency. I think?
The inverter does not have a square-wave. It has a "modified sine-wave" which is really a modified square-wave. It is a square-wave with protrusions that have the same peak voltage as a sine-wave. The average power of a square-wave, mosified sine-wave and pure sine-wave are the same.

A modified sine-wave inverter works harder and gets hotter than a simple square-wave inverter because the peak voltage and current are higher and the peak output power is higher. There are gaps in the power so the average output power is the same.

Attachments

• Modified sine-wave.PNG
    22.1 KB · Views: 383
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…