Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how can i make a timer which is triggered for 1 sec in a min

Status
Not open for further replies.

pateljayam

hey guys
i want to make an application in which i can trigger a buzzer only for a sec in a min.
rest of 59 sec the circuit has to be in sleep mode.
please help me out!

can i do it with any kind of PWM ic or may be some sort of 555 circuit
cause i tried making it with 555 but as we know that in astable state the on/off cycle are equal which i dont want!

thank you

Actually, the duty cycle of the original 555 astable circuit is greater than 50%. It requires some modification to get exactly 50% (See: **broken link removed**). One approach to your question would be is to have the duty cycle 59/60%, then invert the signal.

A simpler way is to insert a diode in the astable circuit to separate the charging and discharging paths. That approach is described on page 5 of this application note, which is no longer available from Philips:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/attachments/555an-pdf.52952/

One can do the same thing with a relaxation oscillator made from a Schmidt inverter as done here by Dekker (scroll to Inductor Test bench):

https://www.dos4ever.com/flyback/flyback.html#ind2

Both diode-based methods can give you a very low duty cycle.

John

Last edited:
2 555's, one in a 1 pulse a min astable, and the other a monostable 1 sec triggered by the 1 min astable.

If you need precision for the 1 minute duration you might be able to use a xtal oscillator in conjunction with a 4060 or other binary counter.

If you use a 7555 or tlc555 you'd be operating at very low power during the off cycle.

A pic micro would be the professionals choice, assuming you have the means.

Last edited:
The 8-pin 555 timer must be one of the most useful ICs ever made and it is used in many projects. With just a few external components it can be used to build many circuits, not all of them involve timing!A popular version is the NE555 and this is suitable in most cases where a '555 timer' is specified. The 556 is a dual version of the 555 housed in a 14-pin package, the two timers (A and B) share the same power supply pins.

The circuit symbol for a 555 (and 556) is a box with the pins arranged to suit the circuit diagram: for example 555 pin 8 at the top for the +Vs supply, 555 pin 3 output on the right. Usually just the pin numbers are used and they are not labelled with their function.

Standard 555 and 556 ICs create a significant 'glitch' on the supply when their output changes state. This is rarely a problem in simple circuits with no other ICs, but in more complex circuits a smoothing capacitor (eg 100µF) should be connected across the +Vs and 0V supply near the 555 or 556.

Last edited:
The standard 555 can sink as much current as it can source, so I would suggest tying the buzzer between the positive supply rail and the 555 output. So the buzzer is off during the output high time. Just use a regular astable 555 set for the period and duty cycle.

thank you guys really helped a lot!!!
was successful in making it
just a bit of precision is needed but i guess i will make it
thanks a loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back