How do I connect 10 speech horns to a 4 ohm amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

Piezo Horn Tweeter have no impedance so how do I connect them to an amp?

The ebay seller says he does not know either but he knows they have no impedance.

Will a 4 ohm or 8 0hm amp see these as NO load?

I want to put TEN 70 watt tweeters on a 200 watt solid state amp.

**broken link removed**

Three in series should be fine on 200W, so use three rows of three in parallel - don't use the tenth.

You should also add a current limiting resistor in series with each row of three.

You could also try 5 rows of two, but 200W per pair is pushing it a bit.

The extremely cheap piezo whistles don't have a detailed datasheet so we are just guessing. Similar ones have a fairly high capacitance of 0.13uF each so 10 of them will be 1.3uF which is a load of 12.3 ohms. Maybe your amplifier oscillates with the high capacitance load?

They are not "speech horns". They are high frequency whistles that cannot produce good speech. They are rated at 3.5khz but is the output down -10db? Then you will barely hear 4kHz and no lower frequencies.
You need fairly large dynamic re-entrant horns for speech. Connect them in series-parallel until their impedance is close to what the amplifier is designed for.

piezo tweeters are voltage operated devices. they do present a capacitive load, so resistors in series are needed to keep the amp from becoming unstable. most of the run-of-the-mill piezo tweeters are rated at 20V maximum, so it would be best to run two series strings of 5 tweeters (the two strings are in parallel) to keep the voltage across each tweeter well below 20V. you also want to keep the voltage below the point where the tweeter diaphragm motion begins to be nonlinear. you didn't say whether the "200 Watt" amp was 200 watts into 8 or 4 ohms. a 200W/8ohm amp has rail voltages of about 55V, so the amp likely clips around 52V. with a "safety margin" of 50%, a series string of 5 tweeters would have about 10V across each one, with each series string presenting a 26nF capacitive load (52nF for two strings in parallel) to the amplifier, well within the ability of most well designed amps to drive a capacitive load. a 2 or 4 ohm resistor in series with the array may help keep an amplifier stable if you are in doubt.

I double checked the amp it is actually 80 watts per channel with 2 channels for a total of 160 watts. Each channel is 4 ohms but the information says 8 ohms will produce 40 watts per channel.

I am buying an amp from China $17 for plus postage. I plan to use it for 2 things. First to scar off dogs at night. I will connect a EICO 377 signal generator to the input set at 25KHz for 160 watts of noice at 25KHz. A motion detecter will set it off if a dog comes into the yard at night. After playing with this a while it moves inside the house and becomes the TV theater sound system.

Maybe I should buy some different tweeters I want to use them as part of the TV sound system???????????

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I hope the amplifier board uses real TDA7294 amplifier ICs and not counterfeights nor Chinese copies.
You must provide your own power transformer, heatsink and enclosure.
It has 3 channels, not just two.

A piezo tweeter has many peaks and nulls in its frequency response which is why I call it a whistle. You must tune the generator accurately to the frequency of a peak which is difficult because you cannot hear 25kHz. It might cause dogs to bark at it.

You don't want to use those awful-sounding extremely cheap piezo tweeters in a TV Theatre Sound System.

Make a suggestion I don't know anything about tweeters I only picked them because they are the cheapest thing on ebay. What do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…