how do I get a regular FM receiver to receive lower frequencies (72Mhz)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hosehead

Would it be possible for me to just get any commercial FM radio receiver -say from radioshack- and modify it to tune into a 72Mhz transmitter? I just want to know if this would be a cause worth pursuing or whether I should just drop it. If it is possible then I´ll get busy. Thanks in advance for your input.

Since you can buy 72MHz FM receivers, why would you want to make buy a standard FM receiver and modify it for 72MHz?

Hello,

Check out the "FR1C - FM Broadcast Receiver Kit" sold by Ramsey Electronics. Their web site indicates that this receiver will tune down to 70 MHz. You may be able to get ideas for how to modify a commercial receiver by looking at their design. You can download a copy of the manual from their web site. (BTW, I have built this kit and it seems to work well.)

Regards,
Jeff Fedison
Micro Circuit Labs

I just want to know how its done. I know its probably going to be way over my head but if it is possible to do it, I want to try it. I thought it would just be a matter of changing a resistor somewhere in the circuit or may be adjusting a potentiometer with the help of an osciloscope.

I have limited knowledge on electronics but I thought it would be a nice project for me to focus on, since I am not the academic type and I learn by doing rather than reading about it or sitting through long hours of lecture. I´ve tried to follow some of the electronics tutorials on the web but I always find that they are either too basic or too advanced and theoretical, so I´m trying to do small easy projects that have some meaning for me.

72Mhz is actually an assistive listening frequency, I even think baby monitors operate in this range. If there are any other ideas I´d appreciate it, in the mean time I think I´ll just go and check out the FR1C right now!

--------
Jose

Those are wideband FM. If there are any receivable signals there a comercial FM receiver won't be able to do much with NFM, AM, or PPM signals. It would be a waste of effort even if you could replace components, reprogram the synthesizer, and redesign the local oscillator.

The FM broadcast band in Japan goes from 76MHz to 90MHz.
Some older "stage wireless microphones" used FM at 72MHz.

72.0 - 73.0 MHz, 74.6 - 74.8 MHz and 75.2 - 76.0 MHz are also used for auditory assistance devices (in US). See US CFR 15.237 (also known as "part 15").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…