Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do scopes sample at tens of GHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

apchar

It's been a while since I looked at high speed scopes. But last I heard, they were topping out around 5Gsamples/sec for a very expensive tek. Now I see ads in microwave magazines for scopes that claim sampling rates of up to 100GHz. I don't know anyone who makes an A/D chip that will sample at anything close to 100GHz or a memory manufacturer who can handle that kind of data rate. So what's the trick? Are they ping-ponging a large bank of slower A/D's ? Does the enormous sample rate only apply to repetitive waveforms? Or can I really put a single 100psec pulse into these things and get 10 clean points on it?

No. I think it is a repetitive rate. Thus, for example it may sample 1000 samples per sweep, but each sample is delayed by 10ps from the previous sweep. Thus over a series of sweeps you get the equivalent of a 100GHz sample rate. But the aperture (sample) period must still be very short (likely less than 10ps) to get a clean sample and that's obviously not a trivial requirement.

But that's usually not a serious limitation since it's not often that you have only a single 100ps pulse that you need to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back