Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How this ethernet events work ?

Externet

Hello.
If I unplug my laptop from the ethernet, take it somewhere else, plug it there; not always works until some massaging is done.
If my laptop is brought back to where it was originally, and plug it back, not always works until some massaging is done.
If I remove the ethernet connection and plug it to something else, not always works until some massaging is done.
Connecting back to original everything, not always works until some massaging is done.

What would be the case to the internet thingies when there is power outages, locations are swapped, ports/wiring are altered...?

'Massaging' can mean power cycling the modem, setting up network parameters... Teach me to understand the reasons something ceases to work or is not recognized when these sorts of events take place.

I assume you're talking about wired connection. Please answer the following question
  • What OS do you use, and what laptop model ?
  • In the TCP/IP settings, does your ethernet port use static IP address or automatic ?
  • Do you use a proper cat5e cable or some home made cable solution ?
  • Have you tested re-location for other computers as well, and if so does other computers also having the same issue when re-located between the same locations?
  • Do you happens to know what ethernet routers model names that are involved?

Thanks. Yes, only wired. No wireless in my house and will not have it.

- Linux Lenovo T430s
- No clue what TCP settings are or where to find those nor what they are for.
- Suppose yes, the ethernet cable was supplied by internet provider; goes from the modem to laptop and from modem to a television.
- Yes. everything unplugged and plugged anywhere else 'loses' whatever that when restored to original does not work.
- The only equipment involved supplied by the internet provider, a ubee brand model DVW32CB 'Gateway?' or modem.

Last event... disconnected the TV and plugged a chromebook, Did not see the network. rebooted modem, saw it and then this chromebook worked fine.
Next day removed that Chromebook and re-connected the TV. TV did not see the network. Had to reboot modem and then TV returned back to normal.
Sometimes after rebooting the modem, something else loses recognizing the network and need to do it twice.

Would like to learn how it works, what is happening.
When power cycling a modem; the devices have to / can be left on ? Or everything has to cycle power simoultaneously ; or there is a proper sequence ?

Last edited:
Ok, what do you get from output when run # ifconfig from terminal ?

Then you can run 'nmcli con show' - if the word 'auto' shows in front of the name of the current connection (list of several connections may be visible here) then you probably have it set up to automatically receive IP address (from my experience, but I struggle find documentation that actually determine this once and for all).

1727625944435.png

The hash symbol is not a part of the command, it is used to symbolize that the command is run as root. I.e. you actually write "sudo ifconfig" in the terminal, and get prompted for super user password.

Ok, we can probably do easier - assuming you have Cinnamon desktop (also similar for xfce) do this:
  • Somewhere on your menu, there should be a network symbol. Click on that symbol and bring up "Network settings".
  • Select "Wired" (Cinnamon specific) in menu on left side.
  • There may or may not be one or more items at right side - in my menu for "wifi" (I don't have cable connection myself so my guiding assume the menu looks somehow similar for Wi-fi and wired) there should be a tooth gear symbol (or maybe you just get straight into the network information) - click on that tooth gear if applicable. This bring up a new window showing more details on the connection.
  • In left menu, select IPV4. Here, you'll see if the address is set to be obtained automatically.

Ok, so you do have dynamic assigned IP address.

But good news, it's probably nothing wrong with the connection itself because the network adapter has already got IP address, and that requires a physical connection being established.

The next thing you can try out is to disable IPv6, it's very seldom being used within local network.

Then, try to reset the router (unplug the wall adapter for a couple of minutes to ensure memory reset)

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back