Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to boost power from lcd

Status
Not open for further replies.

hekke

I'm using a Matrix Orbital LCD but it can only provide 1A @12V (5V also available). I started searching for a circuit which could supply the fans, but with the 12V (or 5V) from the LCD as a signal. This way the lcd doesn't have to provide the power for the fans, but the psu has to do it.
I searched for amplifiers, opamps, etc. but haven't found anything useful.
Most circuits i've found use a variable resistor to control the speed of the fan.
I'm thinking of a transistor/mosfet circuit, but i don't know what type nor the other parts i need

in short:
needed :
variable 0-12V @3-4amps (for fans)

available:
fixed 12V (from PSU)
variable 5V and 12V from LCD (but low current)

thanks
Hekke

I have this breadboarded and find it works great. To drive those larger fans, you will want to replace the output transistor with a power MOSFET (or possibly just add the MOSFET after the transistor, using that as a driver). I managed to drive over half an amp with this and the transistor only warms slightly (it was my power supply that struggled)

**broken link removed**

@Dr.EM
isn't the fan speed in that circuit controlled by R1 ?
Thats what i want to avoid, I want the LCD itself (with software) to control the fan speed. So the input shoul be a 0-5V signal.
If i could replace the R1 with some other small control signal it would be great.

p.s. i'm currently using such a circuit to drive the fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back