How to calculate carbon emission caused by an appliance's operation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphacat

I gathered some information about standby power consumption of different appliances.
Now I want to calculate the carbon emission caused by leaving an appliance on standby mode.

How can I do that please?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Oh no, not another global warming thread.

It depends on how the electricity in that area is generated?

Most of my electricity is produced by generators that are turned by the water at Niagara Falls. No carbon is produced.
Some is produced by nuclear generating stations around me. Again no carbon is produced.
They knocked down a dirty coal burning generating station near my home.

They are planning to add some clean natural gas burning generating stations near my home.

My new natural gas burning furnace is 96% efficient and its exhaust is slightly warm humid air.

I think most of the power in my area is generated by natural gas which is silly because there are cheaper and more abundant energy sources such as coal and rubbish. Lots of rubbish consists of paper, wood and food which is also carbon neutral.

Burning many things produces carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide. Burning natural gas produces mostly water vapour. I didn't bother copying what is said about it in Wikipedia. Natural gas burns very cleanly.

You're right, natural gas contains more hydrogen so releases less CO2. I just disagree with moving away from coal towards natural gas for economic reasons but I don't think this thread or even this forum is the right place to have such a discussion.

Hi guys.
Thanks for the great information.
It taught me a few things.

I see many calculators that take the power consumption of the appliance, double it by some constant, and reach the greenhouse gas emission.
I assume they are referring to the case where fossile fules are burnt to produce electricity.
You have an idea what is that constant?

Only 3rd world and 5th world nations burn fossil fuels to produce elecricity. Like about 100 years ago or more here.
Maybe your country should grow up.

Well, what would you say about the below picture?

I assume that for a MFD laser for example: during every hour that it is left on standby, 1.37e-9 ktC are produced.
[ 0.9ktC / ( 365days * 18hours/day * 0.1e6units) = 1.37e-9Ktc/hour ]

wouldnt you say its true?

**broken link removed**

Last edited:

I have a master-slave extension lead. My PC is connected to the master, the monitor, cable modem, printer and speakers connected to the slave sockets which are automatically turned off when I turn off my PC so the standby power usage is zero.

I have been told that France generates 78% of its electricity with nuclear energy. What carbon footprint?

Only 3rd world and 5th world nations burn fossil fuels to produce elecricity. Like about 100 years ago or more here.
Maybe your country should grow up.

I don't know about that audioguru. **broken link removed** Canada is a world leader in coal production.

Did You Know?
On a national basis, coal-fired plants are the most important sources of fossil-fuel generated electricity in Canada.

I would guess our neighbors to the north burn some coal.

Moving on to natural gas fired turbines I had the opportunity to talk to a gentleman who oversees and runs a large turbine plant outside Las Vegas, Nevada US. Takes only a few years to build a gas turbine plant and have it online. They are sprouting up all over Nevada and that despite Hoover Dam for hydro-electric power.

They run in an 8 inch (about 205 mm) natural gas line and sink a deep well. That is it and the only real impact on the environment. The only thing left if they move is a well cap. The entire operations are managed by a very small crew (I forgot the numbers).

I wanted to pick the guys brain more but the meeting was a wake and funeral homes aren't the best place for discussions.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…