Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to choose the right photodiode for my application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrolinux

Hi to everyone:

I'm designing a laser range finder, but it's giving me many more problems than I could ever thought. First of all, it's not like an ordinary radar, in that the laser doesn't emit pulses. Instead, it's emitting all the time, what it's called "CW" (Continuous Wave). The range to be measured goes from 1 m up to 15 metres. All I've mentioned so far cannot be changed, they're some of the design requirements, let's say.
The technique I wanted to use is the so called "Phase Shift". It consists of the following:
A beam of amplitude modulated laser, RF, is directed towards the target. A small portion of this wave is reflected by the object's surface back to the detector along a direct path. The returned energy is compared to a simultaneously generated reference that has been split off from the original signal, and the relative phase shift between the two is measured to ascertain the round-trip distance the wave has traveled. For high-frequency or laser-based systems, detection is usually preceded by heterodyning the reference and received signals with an intermediate frequency (while preserving the relative phase shift) to allow the phase detector to operate at a more convenient lower frequency.
Extract from the free ebook Where am I? Sensors and Methods for Mobile Robot Positioning, by Borenstein and others.

In my case, there is no an intermediate frequency, much more simple, the laser diode (module) is just transmiting a 10 MHz sine wave. This is achieved by modulating the direct voltage of the power supply, which is about 4 V. On the other hand, the whole system must be eye-safe, so the laser diode is fewer than 15 mW. Very low power, indeed. Guess how much light the photoreceiver can get if the distance can be up to 15 meters. Almost nothing, right? That's why a VERY high sensitive photoreceiver is needed. According to what I have read, which it's been a lot, an avalanche photodiode (APD) is needed.
So far, so good. But here come the problems, when I have to choose a photodiode being able to detect such a low-level light intensity. Bear in mind that an ordinary photodiode area is about 2.29 x 2.29 mm (0.090 x 0.090 in).
Even though my laser diode module has a low beam divergence and provides a well collimated or small focused spot laser light source, its low beam power makes the detection a hard task to achieve. Taking a look at the integrated photodiode and amplifier OPT301 datasheet, I learn that the photodiode responsivity units are volts/uW or amperes/W. But how can I calculate the amperes/W received by an object in the worst case scenario, i.e. 15 metres away from the transmitter and a low reflectivity, quite rough material. This device costs more than 60 dollars/euros, so if something is able to do the job, this device might detect the light beam !!! Or maybe should I use a photodiode array ?
I forgot some data: the light is in the near IR region (650nm) and the whole system will not be operating outdoor.
Another problem is the bandwidth, since the modulation frequency used in my system is 10 MHz and most photodiodes don't support that frequency. Last question, I promise: do you think an optical filter is needed? I know this filter is integrated in the TSOP17xx series ICs, very used for remote controller receivers, where Pulse Code Modulation is used. But any optical filter doesn't seem to be integrated in the kind of photodiodes I've talked about.

Link to the laser diode module I'm using -----> **broken link removed**
Link to the OPT301 Burr-Brown photodiode -->
http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/O/P/T/3/OPT301.shtml

I would greatly appreciate any kind of help. Thanks a lot

what optic are you using on the receive end, I looked at data transfer using lasers many years ago, check out those websites as they send lasers 20-30 KM. I'm sure things like PIN diodes can handle that speed and use an optical amplifier(telescope) for the receiving end, actually the laser bugs only use a rifle scope mainly for the cross hairs as a aid to sighting. I probably haven't been the greatest help so good luck. That OPT301 has a bandwidth of 4KHz way,way too low.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your answer, Paul. The truth is I didn't want to use any optical part, I think the laser beam can probably be detected by an avalanche photodiode, because their gain is extremely high. Also, instead of using an optical amplifier, I'd use several photodiodes (an array), since I've been told to make the whole system as small as possible.

I have a question related to the transmiter block. I'd like to use a Temperature Controlled Crystal Oscillator to minimize the frequency drift, since I need the system to be very accurate. It turns out that the output in this kind of ICs is a clipped sinewave, but I need a "pure" sinewave. Otherwise, a band pass filter in the receiver wouldn't be able to detect that frequency. Maybe I'm wrong, it's just what I think.

To sum up, does anyone know of a method to convert from clipped sinewaves to well-formed ones?

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back