Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to get full speed from MSSP port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr RB

Darn this has been biting me for about 20 minutes, but I have never really used the MSSP port for high speed stuff so I'm probably missing some little trick or something.

I have a PIC 18F452 running 10MHz xtal PLL so it's Fosc is 40Mhz and PIC is 10 MIPS.
The MSSP port is set for fosc/4 so it SHOULD give me a maximum data out bitrate of 10 Mbit/sec, that is even quoted in the datasheet.

But the very best I can get is 8.8 Mbit per second, it seems to always be using 9 clock periods to send 8 bits!!

I have stripped the code down to the simplest ASM and counted cycles etc etc, there's no way i can get this thing running at the quoted maximum 8 bits per 8 PIC cycles.

This is an example of the code I have been testing (although I have tried umpeen variations in testing);
Code:
SSPSTAT = 0;
SSPCON1 = 0b00100000;  // SSP on, fosc/4 (10 Mbit/sec)

blah:     // 8 PIC cy loop
  i = SSPBUF;    // 2 cy
  SSPBUF = 0b11110000;  // 2 cy
  asm nop;    // 1 cy
  SSPCON1.WCOL = 0;    // 1 cy
  goto blah;  // 2 cy

I have tried re-arranging the order, adding nops removing nops etc but there seems no way it will send 8 bits in 8 PIC cycles (as claimed in the datasheet).
The output on SDO (RC5) should read 10 mips/8 or 125000 Hz, but it will only give me 111111 Hz which is 8/9ths of the correct speed.

I don't need to receive only to send data at 10 Mbit/sec.

So rather than pull my hair out for another 20 mins I thought of asking the people who know the MSSP port much better than I do. :)

Last edited:
I vaguely remember this coming up before and the conclusion was that it was an bug in the silicon. From memory 9 data bits were sent but only 8 clock pulses and so it worked as intended but with a bit delay between bytes. Is this what you are seeing? It may be specific to that chip, can you try a different one?

Mike.

Thanks for the quick reply Pommie. I might have to drag it out to the workshop and get the CRO on it.

Currently I have only tested on 18F452, but I have some other 18F PLL PICs that I can try later.

I was just reading the datasheet again, maybe it's also a problem with CKE (selects clock on rising/falling edge)...

Well there is no good news from my end. I hooked it up to the CRO and did over an hour of testing, every possible MSSP register setup permutation and change in code.

I only tested the 18F452 but with that MSSP module and running at 10MIPS it always takes minimum 9 PIC instructions to send the 8 SPI bits. Trying to do it in 8 PIC instructions just results in a MSSP error (buffer overwrite?) that drops it to half speed.

Sorry Pommie I can't say for the other PICs (so I couldn't test your suggestion) but for this one anyway it's just not possible to get the continuous 10 Mbit/sec quoted in the datasheet.

Check the Errata sheet for your 452. You will want to find the silicon revision number to figure out which errata sheet applies, which should come up if you have a good programmer. The errata sheet often has suggested "workarounds".

452 is an obsolete chip, superseded by the 4520.

Thanks Oznog I just downloaded the latest errata for the 18F452. There is a MSSP problem mentioned but it is not related.

It seems this speed issue is one of those "undocumented features". The MSSP is specced at 10 Mbit/sec, which technically it is (for each actual data bit) but there is a unavoidable 1 tick delay involved in loading/sending every 8 bits so it takes 9 PIC clocks to send 8 data bits, so real data rate is 10 Mbit/sec /9*8 or 8.88Mbit/sec.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back