Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to get high voltage feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abicash

Hello

Can someone help me with pointing out any CT or a PT (or any other known method) to measure maybe 15KV side current and voltage?

Any help appreciated

Voltage is easy - just a simple attenuator (with suitably rated components). For current it would be FAR, FAR easier to measure in the bottom end where the voltage is low - otherwise you have serious insulation and safety issues.

Like Nigel said, For current measurements and current limit, place a resistor in the bottom end (cold end) of the 15kv supply. The voltage across this resistor will go negative with current. It is a good idea to have current limit on 15kv supplies. Example: if this voltage gets to -5 volts shut down the power.

I have high voltage resistors. Some the diameter of a broom stick and 8 inches long. Some the diameter of a pencil and long. Because you don't have these you need to make a resistive divider. Many small resistors are only good for 200 to 400 volts each. Make a long string of resistors to divide down the voltage to some thing you can measure.

Hi and thanks for replying
I am actually looking for something with isolation.
Can you suggest something there?

Opto isolators are commonly used.
You really have not told us what you want to do.

Not many opto-isolators will stand 15kV; most are rated only 3 t0 5kV.

Not many opto-isolators will stand 15kV; most are rated only 3 t0 5kV.

yes....... I think he wants to measure 15kv and current but only needs a little isolation. But who knows.
I knew some one would say 15kv is too much to isolate. That is why the current needs to be measured on the low side and the voltage needs to be divided down before isolation.

How much current?

What resolution do you need for the measurement?

Is it AC or DC? If AC, what frequency?

How much insertion loss can you tolerate?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back