Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to make 31 Wireless LED Indicator with Pushbutton

Status
Not open for further replies.

PamieBeverly

Hello guys. Can someone help me to build a project regarding this. I have three options: (a) Wired (b) Wireless (c) IC Programming

I assume the wireless is the best, I suppose if I use Wireless Doorbell, I can reduce the use of too much wiring. And to make it an LED indicator, I would just have to replace the buzzer/or chime of the doorbell into LED. Is it possible? But I presume, it could possibly have frequency interruptions because I will have 31 doorbells in 1 room. Is changing the dip switch to adjust the frequency range of each doorbell is the solution?

Please help me with the connection in details. I am an on-job-training student and I have to make 31 wireless LED indicator with pushbutton in a faculty room so student/s would not need to knock. Thank you :)

If my option is not good., could you pick on of the options I stated above and teach me how could I make it? I need replies as soon as possible. Thank you again.

Do you need 31 different LEDs, each controlled by 31 different buttons?

Are the 31 LEDs located in the same place, or scattered about? Are the 31 buttons located in the same place, or scattered about?

If each transmitter and receiver is independent, then you will need 31 of each of them. You will also need 62 batteries.

But if the 31 buttons are in the same place, and the 31 LEDs are together, then it can be done with one transmitter and one
receiver. You just need to give each button/LED pair a unique digital ID.

I doubt 31 dorbells would work in close proximity, esp at the same time.
You'd be better doing that with rf modules and a microcontroller, but that would be much more complicated.
Maybe you could do it with 5 doorbell circuits if you used binary encoding on transmit and receive ends.

I remember once I had a wireless doorbell with 8dip switches to set a 'unique' ID, this would give 255 possible IDs. If you can find one like this then you've solved 90% of your problem. two anti-parallel LEDs might be ok in place of the speaker with an adequate current limiting resistor.

If you can't find a doorbell like this then I would suggest Arduino modules with a 433MHz module. It wouldn't be hard to do but would require a bit of C+ programing.

On a final note, with wireless doorbells that would be quite a lot of batteries - I'd suggest mains adapters instead

I believe you will better need to explain your goal with this project.

I also had and still have a wireless doorbell that plays a chosen musical selection. The internal dip switches on the receiver would select the tune to be played. The button on the door sent a single signal and when received by the receiver in the house it played the tune selected by the dip switches. So the button or transmitter didn't encode anything really or have anything to do with which tune was played by the receiver.

It sounds to me like you want to transmit an encoded signal to select 1 of 31 at the receiver side. Would that be what you are looking to do?

Ron

From what I have read of the OP's first post is there will be a display of 31 LED's in the faculty room, then each student will have a button to press when they want to enter the faculty room...

As Ron said... we could do with more info!!

Just off the top of my head, how about a RF microcontroller that sends a code to another RF chip and the MC lights the led that corresponds to the code?

I am thinking of these as they can use tiny antennas, or there is cheap I2C wifi modules that are tiny, put one with each transmitter chip (micro) pre program an address in each and have a single micro with the RF device decode the address and light the chip. Did any of that make sense?

There is one type here https://www.romanblack.com/RF/cheapRFmodules.htm

But I have a much smaller I can post a pic of monday, its easy to put into a small box with low power micro etc

Let me understand if the original post can be rephrased to :
The need is to identify on a professor's desk display, which student number is out the door ? ... Or which number 1 to 31 was punched/selected out the door ?

Out of the box... each student carries a resistor dongle. 100Ω, 200Ω, 300Ω, 400Ω, ... ... ... 3000Ω, 3100Ω.
Fitting the resistor to a contacts slot can display on the professor's desk ohmmeter the number.

-Two wires from the door to the desk- CAT1 cable.

[Or dials a resistor substitution box value that identifies the student and pushes a button]
[Or keys made with resistor values and students insert in a lock] ----> **broken link removed**

Edited/ added pictures:
----> http://www.solar-motors.com/inc/ima...C21D3C7_CAN_bus_termination_resistor_220R.jpg
----> **broken link removed**

Using 2 pairs CAT cable instead, can use other 2 contacts to turn on a light warning to read the ohmeter.

Last edited:
it sounds to me like:
we want OR switching to ONE Single LIGHT on the receiver so students don't need to leave the desk to go knock at door,
to which 1 receiver would work with multiple buttons, as long as the buttons all are able to trigger the same receiver.
It is most likely your idea of dip switch is correct.

if so then the only extra circuitry you would need is the bulb to replace the bell,
and the batteries for the buttons.

your idea sounds sound,
but just make sure the voltage & current match at the output to bell to what you use for light.

Does the OP still care about this project? The thread was abandoned 18 months ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back