Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to remove LCD monitor polarizer - any hints please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandyMan

Hi everyone,

My latest project is replacing the polarizer on my TFT LCD monitor. It's a 17" beast with several deep scratches in it, I can't be doing with that!

So, I've ordered a sheet of self-adhesive polarizer. Just trying to remove the old stuff now.

I've peeled it 1/5th the way back, but I'm worried about breaking the screen or using so much pressure and bending the screen so much that it'll end up bruised. Might be already, I don't know. The adhesive is quite strong.

Anyone done this before and have any tips or just got that little piece of knowledge inside their mind ready to put to good use?

Thanks in advance,
James

Dunno about your question, but where did you get the polarizer from?

maybe try using a hair dryer to put alittle heat on the adhesive, it might help.

I'd suggest maybe some goo gone type chemical to break down the adhesive, but throwning the chemicals on it might cause some other problems.

I'd try the hairdryer idea and see what happens. You might even be able to contact the manufacturer of it and see if they could help you. or the comany that you bought the new polarizer from.

i dont think the hair dryer is good idea because the lcd is made of plastic and it can be damage by the heat. i dont know exactly which monitor you have but most of them are mounted with a strong doubleside scotch tape that can be remove carefully.

HandyMan said:
Hi everyone,

My latest project is replacing the polarizer on my TFT LCD monitor. It's a 17" beast with several deep scratches in it, I can't be doing with that!

So, I've ordered a sheet of self-adhesive polarizer. Just trying to remove the old stuff now.

I've peeled it 1/5th the way back, but I'm worried about breaking the screen or using so much pressure and bending the screen so much that it'll end up bruised. Might be already, I don't know. The adhesive is quite strong.

Anyone done this before and have any tips or just got that little piece of knowledge inside their mind ready to put to good use?

Thanks in advance,
James
some type of solvent might work..just keep it out of the works..also dont use anything that will damage the plastic underneath..
no clue what type of adhesive is on there ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back