How to Reset and Control Latching Relay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

I am writing this on behalf of abuyaser, he is not a native speaker of English and he is seeking EE in an international institute that is based on english

I am a US grad student and I have a degree in mechanical engineering so I understand what you were trying to tell him but not so much with the technical part. I told him the latching relay is not ideal for his design and the regular one will do the job he wants at a precisely.

He seems to understand the functioning of the circuit but he told me that he was trying to tell you that he has a different kind of relay on hand, I see that he has to exchange it to the regular general purpose relay.

He just asked me to read the subject because he was not sure about what he was missing and I guess he missed that his relay is the wrong type!!!

Please tell me if I understood you correctly so I can explain the rest to him.

right now I told him to go with MK3P5-S-DC12 relay and try to implement it with either cabosit or Reloadron circuit

He seems to understand the functioning of the circuit but he told me that he was trying to tell you that he has a different kind of relay on hand, I see that he has to exchange it to the regular general purpose relay.

Yes, that's exactly right. Do not use a latching relay here.

Yes, I looked at the datasheet for that relay, and it will work.

(You might tell him that he might be able to save a little money, since that relay is a 3-pole (3PDT) where all he needs is a single pole. But all they have is a DPDT (double pole) version, so tell him to get that instead. Unless he really needs 3 sets of contacts.)

Last edited:
HI Again

I used the MK3P5-S-DC12 simply as an example and happened to have one sitting here on the table. If that relay is used it will need a mating socket as it is a pinned relay. I used a 12 volt coil because the sensor mentioned by part number was a 12 volt powered sensor. As carbonzit points out many relays would work. My example was a 3 pole double throw and a 2 pole double throw would work fine. Using the relay I suggested will again need a base socket. If the original poster was local to me I would have sent him the relay lying here.

Ron

Sorry guys for my misunderstanding , I do not speak English a lot so maybe that is the reason why I did not explain what I want clearly and I did not understand what you wrote. I did not understand that I have the wrong relay but my friend told me that. I know how the circuit works and will try to get the 2 poles relay from digikey,

Thank you a lot carbonzit and Ron for being patient with me all that time.
Next time I will let my friend explain to you what I am doing so you can understand me with no problems

Regards

No problem. Look, with the exception of my poor Italian I only speak English. I know it can be frustrating trying to communicate outside your native language. Thank your friend for us too!

Ron

Hello,

Carbonzit, I did not understand what you wrote last but I hope you know now why I gave you and Ron so much headache.

Ron, I did thank him for you and Carbonzit and we had dinner that was on me.. LOOL

Just to let you guys know, I am buying

Just to let you know I am ordering KRPA-11DG-12 datasheet, I am trying to figure out the pin connections so I can plug it to Ron's circuit.

Hi friends,
As I was building the circuit, my team mate told me that the mains power supply will be by the door so there is no need to worry about mains coming to contact with water. So, I need to shutdown the light load which gets (24VDC 5A) but I still have the 12 VDC from the power supply which is connected to the GRI2600T water detector and the relay K10P-11D15-12. One thought was to carefully build a good isolation around the relay and shutting down the water detector by having some kind of switch connected between GRI2600t and 12 VDC.

Do you know a good way to deal with this guys?
I hope I explain what I want clearly this time, other wise I could bring my friend again to explain it

Thanks

Use the circuit you were building. The 24 VDC or whatever power for the lights will be run through the contacts of the relay in that circuit. One set of the contacts are used to self latch the relay, the remaining contacts for your load, in this case 24 VDC lighting. I can add more later if you don't understand.

Ron

Do you mean I should use one of the remaining contacts to shutdown the GRI2600t? If so, how is that achieved?

Attached is a crude modification of the last circuit I posted. The relay still shows the old pin numbers from the original relay I used. However, you should get the idea. The only change is that the lamps are powered by 24 VDC. Everything else remains the same. Mains Power as originally drawn is now 24 VDC Power.

Ron

Attachments

• Relay Safety 1.gif
    34.9 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Thanks to you Ron, I implemented the circuit and it works totally fine as specified, thanks a lot to you and to carbonzit.

I am thinking about sending a signal to Arduino micro-controller when I detect water so my friend could display a special message in the screen.

How can I send that signal???

OK, let's thnk about a few things. Right now you are a student. In real life things are a little different. For example if you look back at the first drawing I did I used that relay that had 3 sets of contacts. Yes, I had it laying around but in real life I likely would have used it in a design. That way I would have had extra contacts for when someone comes along later and wants another feature in the circuit.

Anyway attached is another drawing. It is a partial of the original with a few changes. The push button OFF switch is a normally closed switch and so is the water sensor. Note that I reversed their positions. The water sensor now is first off the DC power line.

The Aurduino or any microprocessor can have a DIO (Digital In / Out) pin configured as an IN or Out. So configure a pin as a DI (Digital In) and then look at the attached. I added a Fault relay. Because during normal operation the sensor is normally closed the fault relay will be energized.

Think about it...

Ron

Attachments

• Fault Sensor.gif
    10.2 KB · Views: 184
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…