Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to wire 4 to 20 mA control valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb1clx

Hi this is my first post , I am trying to install a modulating control valve in a heating system at my own home . The control is a temperature/process control , Love Controls 16a3151, the valve is a W.E. Anderson modulating 3 way zone valve. The control provides 24 volts d.c. for the 4 to 20 mA circuit. The zone valve has three wires they are (1) + from control (2)24vac, this is coming from a separate 110 to 24 transformer,and (3)a Common.. How this common and what it connects to are the main question for me , I connect the 24 volt wire from the mod motor(on the valve) to one of the transformer output terminals . then the other (lower)terminal is connecting to both the common wire and the wire returning to the control to complete the 4 to 20mA path. Does this seem the correct way to wire the modulating control valve .:confused:

Last edited:
Hi this is my first post , I am trying to install a modulating control valve in a heating system at my own home . The control is a temperature/process control , Love Controls 16a3151, the valve is a W.E. Anderson modulating 3 way zone valve. The control provides 24 volts d.c. for the 4 to 20 mA circuit. The zone valve has three wires they are (1) + from control (2)24vac, this is coming from a separate 110 to 24 transformer,and (3)a Common.. How this common and what it connects to are the main question for me , I connect the 24 volt wire from the mod motor(on the valve) to one of the transformer output terminals . then the other (lower)terminal is connecting to both the common wire and the wire returning to the control to complete the 4 to 40 mA path. Does this seem the correct way to wire the modulating control valve .:confused:

hi,
I would suggest you post links to the controller and valve, also a sketch on how you have connected the two together.:)

EDIT: found this LOVE pdf, but the Anderson is a no go.:)

Attachments

• D16A_cat.pdf
    289.7 KB · Views: 578
Last edited:
Check your valve carfully for how it should be activated

you have modulating control valves that only operate with on of positions and the duration of the on of position is the temp controling factor (PWM) you also have motor controled valves that put the opening in a certain position to control the flow through a device

most 3 way valves are operating in ON/OFF configuration 9and that can also be equiped with a motor but it runs either all the way to an open position or a close psition but not keeping the mechanical opening in between

Robert-Jan

Thank you for your time and replies , The valve is modulating , not on /off and the mode of modulation is varying current that does put valve at a position for the existing condition . Not PWM pulse width modulation . I am sorry for not providing A diagram .. as for links I will send some but the manufacturer supplies very little wiring info . There tech support is not familiar with wiring .. Thanks agian.

Last edited:
I'd post some stuff on an HVAC forum for this.
You might shorten the life of the controller circuit board.
And heat pump systems are very touchy, if this is one.

I will get a diagram of what I am working on, I have been busy with some home repair . I hope to get in here in a couple days . and try to figure this out , THANKS!

I got this control functioning it needed 600 ohms between the legs of the control path. That is between the common and the + of the of the output from the control..Yea! it works ......Thanks for your helps, this is a great site...Laters:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back