I have a question about the multivibrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wall-ED

I know this will make me sound stupid, but there's is something that is really confusing me in this circuit.
**broken link removed**
The Transistor's collector will be amplifying current towards the Cathode of the LED, wouldn't this be reverse bias?
I know the answer would have the explanation of the difference between conventional current and electron flow. But it would be great if someone clarifies it.

Sorry, I don't really understand what you're asking? - transistors don't "amplify current".

In this circuit they are simple switches - they switch the bottom end of the LED down to 0V, that's all you need to know really.

However, it's a really poor circuit, the regulator is missing at least one essential capacitor, and there's no HT decoupling capacitor on the multivibrator either. Also, the supply of 12V is too high for most transistors, and the transistors will very quickly fail.

The Transistor's collector will be amplifying current towards the Cathode of the LED, wouldn't this be reverse bias?
No. The transistor is acting like a switch. When the transistor is on, current flows through the LED from the positive supply and then through the transistor from its collector to emitter. The "amplification" for this circuit is that the needed transistor base-emitter current to turn on the transistor is much less than the collector-emitter current.

USE conventional flow, from + to - , electrons go from led to transistor collector and out emitter to ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…