I need to lose 500mV in 4 hours...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Primathon

Sorry for the rushed nature of this post, but I'm quite short on time and in need of a quick and dirty solution... Here's the deal: In about 5 hours, I'm getting on a Greyhound bus for 16 hours. I expect this to be mind-numbingly boring. To help me cope, I've loaded up my Motorola Droid with a bunch of videos that I've been meaning to watch... The problem is, I don't have 16 hours of battery life (and I need my phone when I get there). What I do have, however, is the following:

12v 7.2 Ah lead-acid battery, fully charged **broken link removed**
12v to USB automotive charger **broken link removed**

So, my plan is to wire the these two together to give me a big fat battery to plug my phone into (it charges via MicroUSB). The problem is that when I do this, the USB charger outputs 5.5v instead of the nominal 5.0v -- when I plug it in, my phone "wakes up", but doesn't start charging. If I use a **broken link removed**, it outputs a steady 5.0v and charges just fine. I'm guessing the extra 0.5v is causing me problems.

That's my problem in a nutshell. I need to somehow put something inline (I have a spare USB extender cable that I can chop up) that will drop the voltage from 5.5v to 5.0v. The bus leaves in 4 hours and 39 minutes.

Any ideas? I'm all about the quick and dirty, and don't particularly care if it generates too much heat, as I can keep that part isolated.

Thanks guys

Just google how to loose 100KV within 1/1000sec.

500mV won't do any harm, and should be within tolerances.

Boncuk

I need to lose 500mV in 4 hours...
Sounds like a request for some fad diet

you can try a diode (e.g. 1n4001 which will drop around 0.5-0.7V, 1n5818 which will drop something in the vicinity of 0.2-0.4V) in series with the supply.

500mV won't do any harm, and should be within tolerances.
I though so too, but the phone didn't want to play ball. It'd "wake up", but wouldn't charge.

I ended up just picking up a new 12v to 2xUSB adapter at Best Buy, as I was a bit too short on time to work with the old one. I'll still give the diode idea a shot, as this contraption will certainly prove useful in the future. Thanks for the replies

Last edited:
If you're going to open up the converter anyway, you can usually change a single resistor to change the output voltage (you may need some finding which resistor though).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…