I operate a 6 Volt DC fan with 12 Volt DC, does it damage the Motor/Fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamun2a

I operate a 6 Volt 4Ah DC fan with 12 Volt 7Ah DC, does it damage the Motor/Fan?
due to battery problem i do so, how much damage it may happen to the DC Fan?

thanx in advance.

mamun2a
dhaka, BD

Something is gong to break. Windings burnt would most likely be the first thing to go.

Cheers

If you don't care about efficiency, you could just put a power resistor in series with the fan to drop about 6.3V.

Really it depends how stressed the motor is at 6V, if it's under-run it may be perfectly fine on 12V instead.

But I would expect for most motors that it's life will be GREATLY reduced, and it may not even last the first hour.

Apparently 12V windscreen wiper motors usually work perfectly fine at 24V (even long term), obviously well under-run on 12V.

i bought 6 Volt 7Ah Lead acid battery specially for this Fan, but i c, the battery cant serve which i think. it ran 1+ hour with 6Volt 4.5 SLA batt, but now ? happen i cant understand.

I use 12V 7AH SLA w/o hassle still now, just the fan ran very fast.

If the fan draw 4A, then you need a 6.3V/4A = 1.58Ω resistor. The power dissipated in the resistor is 4A x 6.3V = 25.2W.

Thus you would need a 1.6Ω, ≥30W power resistor, which is fairly large. Obviously this is not a very efficient approach.

You can use five small diodes in line , this will drop the voltage at the safe 9V point,
that the 6 volts fan, can use with out issues.
Small is relative. They must carry 4A and so would need to be 6A minimum power diodes on a heat sink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…