Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I request your help with an ADC conversion interface to digital readout display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparks51

Hello Gents,
I want to connect an ADC with an 8 bit output to a digital counter but am stuck trying to figure out the interface circuit between the two. The input to the ADC will be a range of zero to 3.27 volts which I would like to equate from zero to 100, (or actually 99), as indicated by the digital readout.

I've done allot of research but just can't seem to find the info I need. Any help will be very appreciated!

Thanks!

You need to give us more information. How about a part number for the A/D converter. When you say a digital counter, I picture a laboratoy instrument. Without using a microcontroller, such as a PIC, I think you will have an enormously difficult time accomplishing your task.

Sounds like you want a voltage to pulse train converter. For example if the ADC reds 47 you output 47 pulses. I don't know how you would clear the counter for the next reading, but there has to be a way.

RE: ADC interface

First, Thanks Papabravo for your help!

This is my first A/D project so please hang in here with me, thanks.

I do not have a specific numbered A/D converter picked out yet other than thinking I would like a flash type. I'm open to suggestion though.

By my calculations an 8 bit, being the most common, should be needed to accomodate the amount of voltage counts/steps that I need to read. That being 100.

About the digital counter, sorry I should have explained better. I indend to used the standard pulse train to bcd decoder to lcd driver type system. Here again I'm open to suggestion.

Yeah I was starting to think a micro-controller of some type might be the way to go. Along with project cost, ease of construction is a concern. It would be desirable if there could be some sort of reasonable balance.

You are right, some sort of pulse train converter.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

As you've already thought about, a micro-controller (PIC or other type) would make this a trivial project to do - requiring only the one PIC, and very little else.

Depending what you're trying to do (which you don't tell us), you may be able to use a simple LCD meter module?, these are freely available and just require a couple of resistors to set the range you want.

Well suppose you pick an 8 bit converter that has a Full Scale voltage of 5V. That means when you get all 1s, you're at 5V, or 255 binary = 5V. Since you want to get 3.7V = 100, a little math says you need to attenuate your input signal to scale it appropriately. i.e. the A/D's value of 100 counts represents 1.9608V. Therefore, if you build a simple resistor divider or op-amp attenuator to get you to this level, then it becomes a simple 8 bit output that you can interface via TTL, PLD or other glue logic to a display.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back