I want to guild an intercom for person to person & vehicle to vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinarfi

I want to build an intercom for person to person & vehicle to vehicle

I have a set of Lynx Micro System headphones that works great, but after a few hours, they feel like they are driving my glasses into my skull, they are on the heavy side because they were designed for open cockpit flying, plus I want to make something for my son and/or friends so we can talk while we are out in our off road vehicles.
My plans are to use throat microphones and over the ear stereo head phones that can be plugged into a walkie-talkie type radio to talk and also into music. The voice and the music would stay local so I don't hear his music and he doesn't hear mine, but when the 'press to talk button' is pressed, all headphones hear what is being said.
That's pretty much what I have already, but only one set of headphones that cost over $1000 when I bought them.
Lighter weight stereo headphone are readily available at a lesser price and I don't need the noise protection offered by the Lynx, Flying is usually very noisy.
I'm hoping some of the audiophiles here might have a suggestion or two and offer a good place to start from.
Thank you,
Kinarfi

Last edited:
I suppose I could just buy another set of Lynx headphones, but that is not building, that is buying, I want to build, and hope someone can give me a hand and/or maybe a place to start.
Thanks for your suggestion.
Kinarfi

Last edited:
Don't "throat mics" produce only grunts and groans (just vowels) instead of clear speech?
Your mouth produces the very important consonants (they have high frequencies) of speech.

Did something similar, many years ago, for a friend with a girl friend and a motorcycle. They shared the same music in helmet speakers with a VOX over-ride for talking. I kind of like the sound of the old carbon throat mikes. Don't know where you would find them now, In the old days you could get them surplus. Boy did those little speakers sound good right in your ear,.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…