Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I would like to build a digital clock with 4 lightbulb displays, help

Status
Not open for further replies.

vos1208

Hi!

This is my first time here, so i apologize when i'm doing something stupid!

I would like to build a digital clock but instead of 4 led displays i would like to build 4 lighbulb displays. Is it possible to convert a LED clock circuit that it can handle the lightbulbs?

Everything is welcome, i'm pretty new at these things.

Is it possible to convert a LED clock circuit that it can handle the lightbulbs?
It's possible. What sort/voltage/wattage bulbs will you use? How many bulbs per segment (assuming a 7-segment display format)?

Regular lightbulbs of 230v 5 watt. I was thinking of 2 bulbs per segment. But if it's possible for the sides 3. And than 4 digits.
Thanks for the fast reply!

I'm thinking opto-triacs, one per segment; so 28 optos total. I suppose you could reduce that to 7 optos by multiplexing the digits, but 5W filament lamps might not last long if rapidly/repeatedly switched in that mode.

How about using these. It would take 7χ4 segements, which is a lot of triacs and ballasts...

I really like the look of lightbulbs that's why i want them!

Look at the strip lamps that are used for shaving or caravan lights.

You can get them in 230V low wattage , about9 inches long.

**broken link removed**

Okey! This sounds a little out of my league but on what kind of circuit do i have to insert them and what place?

I'm thinking opto-triacs, one per segment; so 28 optos total. I suppose you could reduce that to 7 optos by multiplexing the digits, but 5W filament lamps might not last long if rapidly/repeatedly switched in that mode.
Okey! This sounds a little out of my league but on what kind of circuit do i have to insert them and what place?

Commercial displays that use incandescant light bulbs keep a lower current passing through the bulbs when they are not lit. This makes the bulbs last longer because frequently turning them on when the filaments are cold causes stress to the filaments. The current when off is just enough to cause the filaments to glow a dim orange.

on what kind of circuit do i have to insert them
You could build all the control electronics on stripboard (Veroboard) or a printed circuit board (pcb). Quite a big task if you have limited electronics experience. It isn't simply a matter of plugging lamps into the clock :).
Have you made pcb boards before? Do you already have the LED clock circuit? Or are you able to program a microcontroller to do the control functions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back