Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IC in a PS2 optical mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Most Helpful Member
PS2 optical mouse - brand unknown.

The 12-pins IC (integrated to the camera) is an ATL A2188 for which I found no datasheet in the Web.

Checked the rotary encoder used for the scroll wheel: mechanical switches with detents.

After probing its terminals with a scope, I realized that each switch brings in turn, in ON / OFF sequence its respective pin to ground.

Also the 3 microswitches (left - right - wheel) do exactly the same, bringing their respective pins to 0V when pressed down.

My question: the pull up "resistors" inside the IC, what are they? Common resistors or active transistors?

Additional (not related to the above): in the waiting state, the LED is driven permanently with a 6% duty cycle. For full brightness DC becomes 100%. Frequency is 96 Hz.

The sole resistor used in this mouse goes in series between the +5V and the LED.

weak pullup resistors are common in digital chips such as MCUs etc.
they are not resistors really but transistor acting as current source (Widlar).
only fairly small resistors are implemented as resistors in silicon,
large values are not economical as they take too much real-estate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back