Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ICD2 woes continue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank Fletcher

Well, I convinced my employer's IT people to install MPLAB 8.10 on my work computer (XP OS), but I'm having the same problems as with my home computer.

I still haven't heard back from Microchip. I gave the support line a call with my ticket number, but all you get is an automated message inviting you to share more of what you know already with them. I'm not sure there's anything else I can tell them that I haven't already.

I can only presume that I somehow fubared my programmer somehow when I was experimenting with my first assembly code programming on Sunday. I'm not too sure what to do about that.

Sounds like the firmware is corrupt, it happens with genuine ICD2's too. Beg or borrow either another ICD2 or PICkit2 and hopefully your clone has an programming connector on the 18F4550. You can use the firmware on the Unicorn page to reflash it.
Do you have a link to your clones manufacturer?

Have you read through **broken link removed**? Try running the USB clean program and reinstall.

Mike.

Have you read through this page? Try running the USB clean program and reinstall.

Mike.
Been there, done that, still nothing.

blueroomelectronics said:
Sounds like the firmware is corrupt, it happens with genuine ICD2's too. Beg or borrow either another ICD2 or PICkit2
Love to, but save going to Maine, I doubt there's anyone within 500km who's got a programmer for me to borrow!

and hopefully your clone has an programming connector on the 18F4550.
Doesn't look like it does, but I had a try at prying it out of the socket on the board. Do you think it'd work if I pulled, programmed, and plugged it back in?

You can use the firmware on the Unicorn page to reflash it.
I'm presuming I could use the same firmware to flash it, using an Inchworm+ instead? Would I have been less likely to have damaged the firmware to the point of incompatibility if I had an RS-232 programmer instead? It surprises me that I was able to fubar the 4550 at all, I just can imagine how that might happen. Is it really that easy to inadvertently alter the 4550's programming as a result of messing around in MPLAB? An RS-232 solution's looking pretty sweet right now. Do you know which of your suppliers has the Inchworm+ pre-assembled? What is (and where can I get) a compatible cable and zif socket for the Inchworm+?

Do you have a link to your clones manufacturer?
No, the labelling (and accompanying documentation) is as generic as it could be. The best I've got is this:
www.MCUmall.com A low cost EPROM EEPROM Atmel PIC I2C SPI programmer online store
and based on appearance, the product looks slightly different (board layout, board colour) than the currently advertised product.

Last edited:
It's in a socket, that makes it easy. If it's a problem send me a SASE with the 18F4550 and I'll reprogram it and send it back no cost.
Or I can send you a preprogrammed 18F4550 from my Unicorn stock for $15 + $5 S&H or you could order a Unicorn kit and use your programmers 18F4550 in it (handy for an LCD / GLCD or USB experimentation) or just reflash your 18F4550 as a spare.

Robotshop or myself sell both the Inchworm+ & Junebug (get the Junebug) you can salvage your ICD2 for the nice PICs on it. I have assembled Junebugs here.
The Junebug uses the HID driver, and you get the tutor too. Of course a genuine PICkit2 is another option.

Last edited:
Here's a real stretch but it's something I might do in a pinch. If you've got a MAX232 laying around you could pull out the 18F4550, build a MAX232 to ttl adapter (see the Inchworm schematic) and tack the 5 communication lines plus gnd to the 16F877A (it's firmware works fine with RS232), put the 18F4550 in the ZIF and reflash it.

Or I can send you a preprogrammed 18F4550 from my Unicorn stock for $15 + $5 S&H
That sounds like a good idea. Do you want to PM me to work out the payment details?

In retrospect, knowing vaguely about the driver issues with the ICD2, I should have had on-hand a pre-programmed 4550 in the event of failure. I like the idea of being able to daisy chain the two, provided this is in fact a firmware issue.

By the way, any tips for getting these large chips in and out of their sockets with minimal pin bend/breakage?

Here's a real stretch but it's something I might do in a pinch. If you've got a MAX232 laying around you could pull out the 18F4550, build a MAX232 to ttl adapter (see the Inchworm schematic) and tack the 5 communication lines plus gnd to the 16F877A (it's firmware works fine with RS232), put the 18F4550 in the ZIF and reflash it.
Unfortunately, I don't have a MAX232 yet, although it surprises me that I don't. The best I have is the RS-232 to four pin TTL adapter (+5V, Tx, Rx, and ground, I think) that came with my Acroname Brainstem.

It's dipmicro, he's probably losing money at that price.
Almost certainly.

PS futz, how can I convince folks to consider the Junebug vs the Inchworm+
I don't know, but if I knew then what I know now, I would have not bothered with an Inchworm+ and would have bought a Junebug first. But at the time, for some reason, I thought the Inchworm+/ICD2 was better.

So all youz newbs shopping for a really good PIC programmer!!! Get a Junebug (or a PICkit 2). They're better and faster and cheaper than the Inchworm+ (ICD2)! :D

Last edited:
Bill said:
It's dipmicro, he's probably losing money at that price.

Well, not losing, but not making much. Bill, I offered you entire remaining Firefly/Unicorn inventory back for even lower price, but you did not respond.

Bill said:
PS futz, how can I convince folks to consider the Junebug vs the Inchworm+

I had a plan to improve Inchworm, but there seems to be no point.

PICkit2 (and clones) are functionally superior to ICD2. For example ICD2 cannot work with entire PIC family, because some need Vpp 8V, while others 13V and ICD2 can only adjust it's Vpp by 10-15%. PICkit2 with it's PWM generator can do entire range and if Microchip does not support a chip yet, they might in the future.

Add a Communication Tool and Logic Analyser Tool, and PICkit2 (and clones) are 100x more useful than ICD2.

I believe Microchip has a PICkit2 command line utility and API, so if you are building automated in-circuit equipment, PICkit2 (and clones) is way to go.

The PICkit2 hardware is simpler (most work is done by software), so material/labour cost make it way cheaper.

Last edited:
Well, I convinced my employer's IT people to install MPLAB 8.10 on my work computer (XP OS), but I'm having the same problems as with my home computer.

I still haven't heard back from Microchip. I gave the support line a call with my ticket number, but all you get is an automated message inviting you to share more of what you know already with them. I'm not sure there's anything else I can tell them that I haven't already.

I can only presume that I somehow fubared my programmer somehow when I was experimenting with my first assembly code programming on Sunday. I'm not too sure what to do about that.

If you think it's hosed, they'll send you a replacement for free. I'd try a clean install on another computer, and make sure you install all the right drivers. I had some trouble getting mine to work as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back