Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ice Cream Machine Motor Control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I just joined the forum after I came across this interesting thread.
I'm wondering what is the preferred RPM for an household (small batch) ice cream maker. I've read that commercial & industrial ice cream maker have dasher & scraper that rotates in very high RPM, tenth of thousand! One manufacturer of bucket type ice cream maker (comes with hand crank & motor) claims that the motor runs at 12000 RPM, however it didn't specify if that is at no load or on load. It didn't say the torque either.

My guess is that, if an ice cream maker has a fast freezing component at very low temperature, say -10C to -18C (just like those commercial unit), very high RPM is necessary so that only tiny ice crystals are allowed to form on the container surface before being scraped. High RPM will also cause more air to be incorporated in the mixture. At this temp. the ice cream will be quite stiff/hard, so the rotating system must be of high torque. Adjustable timer maybe used to stop the process.

I wanted to built an ice cream maker for home use too, but still having difficulties to decide what motor to use. Prefer cheap and common motor. Some options are heavy duty exhaust fan motor, wash machine motor, and ice shaver motor. Perhaps some suggestions. Thanks

Hi guys, I just joined the forum after I came across this interesting thread.
I'm wondering what is the preferred RPM for an household (small batch) ice cream maker. I've read that commercial & industrial ice cream maker have dasher & scraper that rotates in very high RPM, tenth of thousand! One manufacturer of bucket type ice cream maker (comes with hand crank & motor) claims that the motor runs at 12000 RPM, however it didn't specify if that is at no load or on load. It didn't say the torque either.

My guess is that, if an ice cream maker has a fast freezing component at very low temperature, say -10C to -18C (just like those commercial unit), very high RPM is necessary so that only tiny ice crystals are allowed to form on the container surface before being scraped. High RPM will also cause more air to be incorporated in the mixture. At this temp. the ice cream will be quite stiff/hard, so the rotating system must be of high torque. Adjustable timer maybe used to stop the process.

I wanted to built an ice cream maker for home use too, but still having difficulties to decide what motor to use. Prefer cheap and common motor. Some options are heavy duty exhaust fan motor, wash machine motor, and ice shaver motor. Perhaps some suggestions. Thanks

Well, if you use a high RPM DC motor, you will have to make it geared down some, so there is less RPM, and more torque.
LOL A washer machine motor will be more than powerful for your project! :D

Hi guys,
I know it's been a while ever since this thread was posted back in 2010.
Was the project/s completed?
What are your conclusions? What motor should be used? How should it be connected to the paddle?

Please share your thoughts and what you have learned.

I want to build one myself.

Thank you

I for one have an old electric ice cream maker and the paddle speed is around 15 RPM but with loads of torque. I think the motor is in the 100 - 150 watt range.

Do the math from there. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back