Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ideas for power switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc88

I have built Tony Messina's bat detector (**broken link removed**) and after putting it in an enclosure (small Pactel type), it dawned on me that I should add a power switch. Now it wouldn't be hard just to add a power switch, but then I thought it would be nice if the device just turned on when you plugged the ear phone in. The phone jack I'm using is a mono jack with a shunt lead which gets disconnected from ground when an ear phone is plugged in.

So, the question is does anyone have any ideas for a way to turn on the device when the ear phone is plugged in but draws almost no current when off? (A different ear phone jack would work, of course.)

Some more specs: the circuit draws about 15ma and uses a 9v bttery. I think I could tolerate 1 uA in power down mode, but less would be better. Currently I'm investigating using a MOSFET (2n7000 because that's what I have) with a 10 M ohm pull-up on the gate.

Last edited:
You have answered your own question:
pc88 said:
(A different ear phone jack would work, of course.)
The circuit as drawn shows one way to do it.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back