I'm back with a small project!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachtheterrible

Hi everyone, for those of you who remember me, it's been a while. I got into fourwheelin and have been having so much fun with it electronics sorta got put on the backburner! There's a picture of my 84 Toyota 4x4, it's got a solid axle with 4.88 gears and Aussie autolockers front n rear, which lets it go anywhere, I've installed an MSD ignition, weber carb, flowmaster exhaust, just to name a few, and in the next couple of weeks am going to fabricate an exocage for it, and after that do a 3-link suspension with coilovers up front.

Anywho, I made an LED flashlight a long time ago with a lumiled 3W LED, and have since decided it's not bright enough, so I"m going to use lumileds new K2 LED, which can soak up 1A of current! I plan to use li-ion rechargable cells to power it which is great because coincidentally the normal driving voltage of the LED Is about 3.7volts, exactly what the li-ion cell puts out.

My question is about charging/discharging the cells in parallel, so I can have a 3.7V 30 or 40Ah battery. There are premade PCBs which limit the charging/discharging to protect the batteries. Can I use one PCB to charge all of the batteries in parallel at once? Cuz that'd be great.

One other question is, how is the discharge curve on Li-ion cells?

Attachments

• 0401071020a.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
the discharge curve is mostly flat ... you start at 4.2v and end at 2.9 to 3.0v, most of the life is at 3.6-3.7v

large strictly parallel arrays are discouraged, unless you have some method to monitor / charge each cell separately. really, the same thing applies for series arrays too, you need to monitor each cell separately, but can charge them as a whole

that being said, I have two 2.6ah cells in parallel, each cell has its own protection circuit. They charge and discharge together. I'm still here and haven't lost any eyebrows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…