Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I'm So happy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumlink

I am so happy!!!

I finished my binary CLock!!!!!!!!!!!

I also Fixed my robots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOT

I will post pictures later today once I get my camera back!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is TEH CLOCK!!!

The displays are backwards :eek:

SEC MIN HOUR

1492: This picture is of the front view of the clock. The Regulator is barely warm

1496: WIRING ORGANIZATION FROM HELL!!!

Attachments

• 100_1492.jpg
    100_1492.jpg
    488.5 KB · Views: 418
  • 100_1496.jpg
    100_1496.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 245
Interesting... perhaps you should buy one of those zippy boxes to put your projects in. Just a question, why did you set up the seconds then min then hour?

Doesn't your camera have a close shot setting?

Mike: I put the displays in the wrong order lol. I just have to move them around.

Hero: It does forgot about it.

3V0: I would do a bunch of electrical testing beforehand though

Gayan: You are seeing correctly :)

Krumlin
You are obviously dead chuffed that you have your clock working and are proud of it, but consider the following:

You have just shown the whole world some out of focus pictures of an incorrectly assembled clock.

By your own admission the digits are in the wrong order and the camera had a setting for close up which you forgot about, but presumably you saw the pics before posting here?

Please dont take this as criticism for the sake of it, consider it as a reminder for the future.

Ask yourself,
Is this the best I can do with the resources and time available to me?
If not, just consider going that little bit further to REALLY COMPLETE the project before showing it to the world.

JimB
(Feeling phylosophical tonight)

Be nice! :D Im no photographer either but yeah i suppose ur right. Nothing beats a nice enclosure and pretty LED colours (expensive, tho) :D

A reminder? Seemed very rude from my prospective!

So what, you want me to recall my pictures and stuff and say: It is not finished yet, I wasted my time bla bla bla?

Dont be so rude! What do you have to contribute? I dont see you saying: oh you should use a 1hz clock from a real clock!

Constructive criticism is acceptable, but saying that I posted a bunch of crap (in a shortened version) and diddnt care is not acceptable.

Relax, krumlink its fine. Hes just saying for next time, check photos, finish everything, make it really impressive, then show people. It makes you look smart :D its what i do.

It's encouraging that your project is close to completion and you've shown us the results so far.

We all look forward to the final result.

regardless of your presentation standard to an informal gathering, you have thus far stood out among the crowd by being highly productive and quite open and generous with your comments.
i know what an led looks like, i'd prefer it in focus but it'll do.;)

I have seen pictures of about the same quality here from university students. A radio controlled switch IIRC,

Nice pictures would be better but IMHO Krumlink has done a good job on this. Not many people his age would even bother to try. Good work.

Nor would know what electricity is, or even that lead is poisonous.

Krumlink said:
Nor would know what electricity is, or even that lead is poisonous.

So it's a problem that I ate paint chips off of the windowsill when we lived in an old Victorian house circa 1890?

:D :D :D

Yeah, pretty much.

I have proof that the blood of the aliens in the ALIEN series is...

Jose Ole's Chimmichanga cheese!!!

It dissolved the Styrofoam plate. I did not eat it, but made another :)

Attachments

• 100_1497.jpg
    100_1497.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 173
  • 100_1499.jpg
    100_1499.jpg
    536.8 KB · Views: 179
JimB said:
Please dont take this as criticism for the sake of it, consider it as a reminder for the future.
Teenagers can't take criticism. They want constant adulation for doing things half-assed, even in light of the fact that plenty of other people (even some their own age) have done the same things much better.

There's nothing offensive or rude about JimB's comments. I've written this before and I'll write it again: accusing someone of being "rude," no matter who you are, doesn't prove anything to anyone other than that the accuser is self-righteous and egotistical. Saying "rude" is something mothers say to children, as a kind of low-level admonishment - it's no reasoned argument. For mothers, it's an appropriate form of correcting undesirable behaviour in young children, but for someone of limited experience to call someone else of greater experience "rude" is, well, let's just say, "a poorly informed decision." This isn't a "respect for one's elders" thing - call 'em on their faults, heaven knows I do. It's more a respect for one's self thing, and I'll explain how.

JimB took time out of what, I'm sure, is an important and fulfilling life in itself to take a look at Krumlink's efforts. That meant reading Krumlink's posts and those written in response, and logging in to see the photos. According to JimB, he was feeling philosophical (which literally means "in the mood to seek out the truth," which isn't such a bad state of mind), and in the spirit of philanthropy, he thought of and posted some constructive comments. If he wanted to be rude, he could have said, "Krumlink, your photos suck and your binary clock is inferior in terms of accommodating the basic, common ideology of the workings of such a thing." I don't know if rude people actually talk that way, I'm just speculating, so bear with me. My point is, that's not what he wrote. To the contrary, he took a chance and gambled his own reputation in the interest of helping a younger member make himself a better person.

Krumlink, you obviously have a lot of ambition, commitment and focus for electronics. You have to start realizing, though, that despite the fact that everyone might not share the same passion of whatever tickles your fancy from week to week, that those people are still good people, too. You can spend your whole life surrounding yourself by "yes" men, but that's not necessarily going to make you a better person. That's not to say the people who have posted remarks in admiration of your efforts are wrong, either. Yeah, there are punks all over that will try to take a piece of you, but just because someone's critical doesn't necessarily mean they're trying to cut you down. A big part of success is how you deal with criticism - as you get older, moreso what you can take from it, rather than ignoring it altogether.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back