Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

iMac crystal oscillator identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason9v

Hello,

I am making a presentation about the use of crystal oscillators in computers. There is an image of the motherboard of an iMac (late 2009 model, 21.5"), you can see it here:

**broken link removed**

and here:

**broken link removed** (please ignore the red rectangle)

The oval-ish shaped, raised, silver colored component on the lower right of the images looks like an oscillator to me.

If that is indeed the oscillator, I was wondering if anyone can tell me specifically which oscillator it is? I would like to know the part number if possible (could it possibly be the HC-49?).

You can see more pictures of the iMac here:

KODAWARISAN?????????? (New iMac)?KODAWARISAN Mac?????????????????

Thank you to anyone who knows this.....

Jason

I would call that a crystal; not an oscillator.

It is a surface mount version of an HC49/4H. It's a crystal.

The 4H represents the low height, as HC49 crystals are about 11 mm tall. The frequency is likely to be in the 8 - 30 MHz range, and will probably be engraved on the top of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back