Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inchworm ICD2 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBKA

I just purchased Inchworm ICD2 yesterday. I bought it assembled already, and it worked perfectly in the store. I didn't buy the additional zif socket board, and I am trying to do in-ckt programming on bread board.

Nevertheless I have many warning when programming it, and I can't really get into the debugging mode.

First of all, in Configure->Select Device, should I select a target chip or the one on the ICD2, namely 16f877a?

Second, why does it redownloads Operating System every time I change the configure->Select Device?

Third, why am I getting "ICDWarn0020: Invalid target device id (expected=0x21, read=0x0)?

Fourth, when trying to erase target device, I am getting "ICDWarn0052: MPLAB ICD2 cannot validate a target device. Please make sure that the target device is connected and properly powered...". I have it properly powered.

Thank You :)

BOBKA said:
I just purchased Inchworm ICD2 yesterday. I bought it assembled already, and it worked perfectly in the store. I didn't buy the additional zif socket board, and I am trying to do in-ckt programming on bread board.

Nevertheless I have many warning when programming it, and I can't really get into the debugging mode.

First of all, in Configure->Select Device, should I select a target chip or the one on the ICD2, namely 16f877a?

Second, why does it redownloads Operating System every time I change the configure->Select Device?

Because that's how it works, it downloads the programming software for the target device into the PIC on the ICD2.

Third, why am I getting "ICDWarn0020: Invalid target device id (expected=0x21, read=0x0)?

It means it can't detect the correct target chip.

Fourth, when trying to erase target device, I am getting "ICDWarn0052: MPLAB ICD2 cannot validate a target device. Please make sure that the target device is connected and properly powered...". I have it properly powered.

I notice you say 'properly powered', you don't say 'properly connected', you probably don't have it connected properly - you do know you have to design your target board specifically for ICSP?.

Post a FULL circuit of your target board.

BOBKA said:

Thank You :)

Select the 16F877a Device. You are trying to install the OS onto the inchworm. You should check with a DMM (or continuity checker) to make sure your cable (the one coming from your computer) is a straight through type. What did they demonstrate in the store?

It sounds like its working fine, MPLAB will download a new OS when you change families this is normal.
The 0x0 error simply means there's not likely anything hooked up to the programmer.

The inchworm is junk

The inchworm is a sub-par amateur board. The guy who insists it works makes these boards for a living.

What don't you like about it? Did you buy or build a clone of it?
I use high quality double sided PCBs with a blue soldermask and white silkscreen, is that what you have?

Last edited:
The inchworm is a sub-par amateur board. The guy who insists it works makes these boards for a living.

Explain to the forum why you hold this opinion.

Simply stating that it is 'junk' and 'sub-par' etc., without any back up, is kinda like punching someone in the street and running away...:rolleyes:

Be a man, stand your ground and defend your statement.

EDIT: BTW, I've seen nothing but help come from Bill's corner. I don't have any of his products but I would strongly suspect that if I had, and had any problems, that he wouldn't stop until the problem was resolved.

His site also shows the schematic and BOM, so that any hobbiest can build it if they wish.

What do you have to offer freely?

Last edited:
Explain to the forum why you hold this opinion.

Simply stating that it is 'junk' and 'sub-par' etc., without any back up, is kinda like punching someone in the street and running away...:rolleyes:

Be a man, stand your ground and defend your statement.

LOL reminded me of that bizarre TV show.
**broken link removed**

Was thinking on 'the pot' this morning.

Turds....

Dismiss them quite easily, but you can be sure another will probably turn up tomorrow...

:D

I didn't post the original message

To blueroomelectronics,

I did not write the original post criticizing you. I am also not an active member of this forum, and was surprised to find an email in my spam box telling me that there were replies to my post.

A few months ago I developed my own pic demo board for personal prototyping, and I was researching existing products to get an idea of what peripherals I wanted to add to it. I am almost positive that the person who posted the original message is a tech who was working for me at the time, who I've since fired for incompetance and anger problems. I later found out that when he realized he was being let go, he logged into my email account and sent nasty messages to a lot of my contacts.

I apologize for any criticism you received as a result of the post. To any potential inchworm customers, I've read that the boards are well-made and well-supported. Again, sorry for any misunderstanding.

Aint it all bad till you need it and find out you where wrong.

Bill Makes A fine programmer you can't beat it and he gos all out to help you with it. I don't see how any one would fault you. You even help people who make there own

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back